? asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between luminescence, phosphorescence, fluorescence, incandescence, and iridescence?!?

I thought they all just meant light! I never really thought about them individually.

Please explain for a non-science-oriented person like me.

No big chemistry terms please. :]

9 Answers

Relevance
  • !
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Luminescence - Light not due to incandescence; occurs at low temperatures

Fluorescence - Light emitted during absorption of radiation of some other (invisible) wavelength.

Phosphorescence - A fluorescence that persists after the bombarding radiation has ceased.

Incandescence - The phenomenon of light emission by a body as its temperature is raised.

- Light from heat.

Iridescence - The visual property of something having a milky brightness and a play of colours from the surface

Source(s): Wordweb Dictionary
  • 3 years ago

Luminescence Vs Fluorescence

• 3 years ago

Define Luminescence

• 1 decade ago

luminescence - any soft glowing light, perhaps some living form like some algae, or a panel night light, normally steady

phosphorescence - light created by turbulence, chemical, or incidental stimulation, salt water stirred up by motors will glow briefly if it contains ph... organisms, objects exposed to light that glow for tens of minutes are ph ...

fluorescence - giving off light when exposed to UV light - fluorescent light bulbs have the UV inside from the plasma, men's white shirts glow bluish in UV (black) light from the starch often used on them, many rocks also glow - goes away immediately the light is removed.

incandescence - light from high temperature heating, including incandescent light bulbs with a glowing filament and fire.

iridescence

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the difference between luminescence, phosphorescence, fluorescence, incandescence, and iridescence?!?

I thought they all just meant light! I never really thought about them individually.

Please explain for a non-science-oriented person like me.

No big chemistry terms please. :]

Source(s): difference luminescence phosphorescence fluorescence incandescence iridescence: https://shortly.im/zw5OM
  • 3 years ago

luminescence,,, in order for luminescence to occur one or more electrons in a molecule or atom that is in a ground state must be excited to higher energy electron level ,,excitation can be the result of energy absorption fron any of several sources . if excitation source is chemical reaction then it is chemiluminescence , if excitation source is light then we called it photoluminescence if it is electrical energ then we called electriluminesce etc etc,,,, flourescence,,,, flourescence is the type of luminescence that occure during electron transition from excited (singlet state ) to lower energy (ground state) singlet state (spin of electron does not chang during excitation) phosphorescene,,,,,,,,it is also a type of luminescence in which electron deexcited from triplet state (excited state) to singlet state (ground state)

• 1 decade ago

They all have a bunch of different letters in the beginning but all end in "scence"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know about indecency ! Been there, done that !

• 1 decade ago

no flourscence no phosphoscence its all just nonsence

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.