Is it against the bible to get tattoos?

My boyfriend and I are christian, We would like to know if it is against the bible to get tattoos, We know that tattoos were used for slaves in biblical time, but that is about it. Can someone help?

Im Evangelic by the way!!

Favorite Answer

Well I'm struggling with the same thing...I want to get a tattoo on my lower back. The bible clearly states in Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

However, that was in the Old Testament and a lot of things were thrown out when the New Testament was written. The best advice I can give you is to pray about it first and also review the reason you want to get a tattoo. My reason, honestly, is to draw attention to me and not God. This reason alone is enough to make me change my mind but I want it sooo bad.

Just pray about it first and it will become clear to you. Tattooing and obsessive piercing was seen in the bible days as pagan-like. Its a tough decision...

Check out this link. It sure gave me something to think about!

Well, it's really controversial, since the Bible doesn't explicitly say it is either wrong nor okay.

My mom, for example, believes that it is against the Bible to stain your body for eternity.

However, my youth pastor has several tattoos (a cross, a Jesus fish, a map of the world, etc.)

There is no real way of knowing, I think it's all how you interpret it and what the tattoo depicts.

I hope that helps you!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is it against the bible to get tattoos?

Source(s): bible tattoos: https://shortly.im/0nsaQ

Tattoo Gallery, Lettering, Photos & More

The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. If this matters to you, then you will not get a tattoo (or smoke cigarettes or abusive drinking of alcohol).

I guess the Christian thing is that 'your body is a temple'

You could either see getting as a tattoo as 'desecrating' or simply 'redecorating'. Your choice

• Wandra

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avdKC

I am catholic, female and over forty...got my first at thirty nine..heard the old saying about treating a body like a temple...well I figure I am not defaming the body "I AM ADDING STAINED GLASS WINDOWS TO THE SOUL" Please think LONG and hard about what you want as IT IS PERMANENT..I only have three, and that is all I will have and waiting and THOUGHT a long time about what I wanted..good luck, you are going to get lots of different answers on this one, I almost did not answer...take care, Alda

i didnt know that tatoos have been around long enough to be in the bible but i know you're not meant to cut yourself, if this is any help my cousin is going to get a tatoo of christ on his back and he has read the bible and truly believes it so either its fine or he is a hypocrit

They aren't allowed. Jesus said to never peirce or write on your body, for it is his temple and to do it would be basically spraying graffiti on his temple.

• pogograce2 years agoReport

Where did Jesus say this? Leviticus said it, but not in the new testament

http://bible.cc/leviticus/19-28.htm

That link has the verse in the bible in it's different versions.