Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Marine Reserves to Active Duty?

If I decide while in MOS training that I want to stay Active, could I do that or would I have to wait till I got back to my Reserve Unit. Is there a time limit that I have to be in the Reserves before I can switch over. How long does the switch take most of the time. My MOS will be Combat Engineer if that helps.

Favorite Answer

Do not ask your recruiter. They may try to switch you to an active duty contract before you go to boot camp. Typically, an active duty contract will not have your full MOS built into it. A reserve contract will have your MOS all the way down to the designator inked in (Ex: 0311 instead of 0300). Stay a reservist until you get to your final school and start official classes. Your MOS instructor should have an initial counseling with you. That is when you want to state your intentions and ask to see the unit career counselor. They will be able to change your orders and contract while you are attending school. If you stay a reservist through picking up your MOS class, you will ensure that you are on the fast track through boot camp and whatever schools are needed. If you are active duty, there is no hurry to get you through school. Therefore, you may end up in a holding platoon if there are too many students. Reservists get head of the line privledges because it costs more money to keep a reservist on active duty in a holding platoon then to get you out. As a reservist, you can also check into your reserve unit and ask for and ADSW (active duty for special work) contract. You would work on active duty, with all active duty benefits, for the amount of time you build into the contract. This will depend on the amount of ADSW money the unit has allotted. However, most reservists don't know about the option. Bottom Line: While in the training pipeline, staying a reservist as long as possible gives you options. I agree with the bonus comment. Make sure if you take a bonus that it will still apply if you change to active duty. I am not aware of any such bonuses, but sometimes there are weird ones available. One last thing, do whatever you can to get contract PFC. You will be paid E-2 pay all the way through boot camp when your peers will get E-0 pay. **This information is only valid for the Marines.**

Source(s): Experience

That is the nice thing about being in the reserves over the guard. You don't have to be released by the state. If you want to stay active just tell your DI and they will execute your reserve option to go active. You will want to keep an eye on your bonuses because they may change because of this.

the two certainly one of you're 17 and sixteen, your substantial priority must be working/occupation or practise for you and practise for her, no longer relationships. i will understand which you're "inlove" along with her, yet the two certainly one of you're very youthful so the probabilities of it determining, no count in case you reside or no longer, is amazingly narrow. So with that being reported in case you elect to go advert and be an MP then do it, if she's supportive super if no longer she's no longer well worth it. on no account EVER supply up what you elect to do in common terms for some relationship, it rather is on no account well worth it. have faith me, I found out that the problematic way.. in case you come returned to a determination to go advert you're able to guard the relationship, it's going to be very problematic yet nonetheless attainable. Your mom additionally, has no bearing on this. She'll come to words with it is going to easily. you ought to go out into the international and get some existence stories, stay on your person and develop into independant. Being independant is super! i understand all of this seems harsh and probaly no longer what you elect to pay attention, regardless of the shown fact that it rather is actuality. solid success

Try to ask a recruiter for that

you have to ask a recruiter