Hidan asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What do I do to take of a Cavalier K.C. Spaniel?

I want to get one and I don't know what to do? I don't know how much baths it should take, how much should I feed it, how much walks to take it, and other stuff.

Favorite Answer

Before I bought my Cavalier, I bought every book on the breed that I could find. Those helped me the most. Here's the basics that I've learned from having her.

As a puppy, her energy was limitless...but so was how much time she wanted to sleep...so basically, they'll play when you want them to, and they'll sleep when you want them to.

Make sure you have plenty of chew toys...she loves the puppy ziggies that you can buy for the puppy kongs. They were her favorite when she was a puppy.

When she was a puppy, I would bathe her about every week to every two weeks. Use people baby shampoo...it's very gentle & tearless. Bathing her so often made her used to it, so she doesn't mind baths now. I still bathe her about every two weeks...and take her to a groomer about once a month. The hair on their rears gets long, and needs to be cut so that poop doesn't get stuck in it. Also, the hair on the bottom of their feet needs to be trimmed, cause it can get stuff stuck in it, and get matted. I put leave in conditioner in her hair, and comb her out a couple times a week...but she's an adult now, and her hair is long and gets matted if it's not taken care of.

When she was a puppy I fed her Merrick Puppy Plate. She really liked it. I fed her three times a day...about a quarter cup each time. I feed her Merrick Before Grain. She likes the salmon flavor, and the chicken flavor. I only feed her about a half a cup of food a DAY now. It's a good quality food, so they don't have to eat as much of it to get the proper nutrition.

I don't take her for walks very often, but I play with her for at least 30 minutes a day.

Cavalier's are wonderful dogs, just do your research and do basic obedience training. Good Luck!

Do your research! Types the breed into google and you will find all the information you could ever need. There are also books on each breed, so hit the library! You have to be really prepared before getting a dog, otherwise the dog will end up getting put to sleep in a shelter with the millions of others.

I don't know how you have selected a breed without knowing it's activity level, grooming upkeep or anything like that.

King Charles are not particularly active but if you get a puppy, you better not work, they need you to be home for proper socialization and will destroy your house if left alone too long!!

You should consider getting a rescue dog instead of buying one. It is less expensive and you would be saving a life. You can probably find the breed you want too, 1 in 4 dogs in shelters in america are purebred.

Also, consider looking up crate training and clicker training, I have found they are the best way to go.

Source(s): Animal rescue work.

Get a book on this breed first. Should be bathed at least once a month in a shampoo that has coconut oil in it. You need to comb the hair daily, you can get a grooming spray with coconut oil to help with the tangles. You need to clean the eyes daily, and the ears daily. You need to watch the food, how much you feed depends on the weight of the dog. Walks are a daily thing, at least an hour. It is very important not to let them over eat and exercise daily. They are prone to mitral valve disease, and if the dog gets this, it can go down hill fast, or if healthy, it could live a longer. Cavies need constant attention and companionship. A breeder is unlikely to sell you a Cavie unless someone is home 24/7, or you have other dogs for companionship. A breeder might require you to prove you have someone living at home, or that you have contracted a pet sitter or doggie day care before selling you this breed of dog. While my puppy needs to constantly be touching us, she is still able to be in the crate if we are doing chores without a melt down, but we don't leave her in the crate long. They are smart and a little easy to train, but they wear themselves out fast. My Cavie runs around and plays and then takes a nap, so it makes training time limited to when she is finally awake. Some of her training is ahead of my other dogs, and other training is way behind because she sleeps so much. I would get as many books on this breed to read, before you buy one. They are a hunting dog, so they like toys and games where they pounce on things. My Cavie is more apt to pounce on a ball than to catch it. It is a very loving breed of dog and if you want a lap dog, she is great for that too, and our is great on her walks. Good luck.

This breed is known for having several health problems such as epilepsy, luxating patellas, hip dysplasia and eye problems. Since they are one of the short snouted breeds, they are brachycephalic so they have respritory problems as well. These are the things you should worry about first before you even think about how many walks they need.

I suggest doing lots of research on the breed first as well as have a large reserve to pay for vet bills.

• Kels

Google is your friend. Use it.

Walks? At least 3 a day.

Food? Look on the back of the dog food bag.

Baths? About every 2 months.

Research!

Source(s): www.google.com