Wtf is node tapping in World of Warcraft?

I hear all these arguments about node-tapping and using it to skill up and node ninja's. I just want to know what node tapping is, all I know is that it involves mining a node but not taking the ore, that seems kind of stupid so I just want clarification.

Favorite Answer

Yes, Node tapping is a way to skill up off a node that has already been claimed by another player. It is also used to add the node location to the database of some collection mods (Gatherer is perfect example of one). Node ninja's are people who will attempt to swing at a node that already has a player using it. To prevent this as a miner, just be sure that as soon as you complete looting everything, swing again at the mine asap. Node ninja's are most noted for hanging around Sholazar Basin in Northrend. So be careful! ;P

A lot of people run mods that save mining/herb locations. But the data is only recorded if they actually hit (tap) the node. Often when someone is trying to skill up they want to see all of the possible node locations to be able to find nodes faster. So if they see somebody mining a node they will ask to tap it but cancel the pick before completion. This way the person who had it first gets all the ore but the tapper gets the location for later use.

The above poster is partialy correct. Node tapping is one some one will ask you if they can mine a nod once and they will go all the way through with it but they might not loot it. They do this to get a skill up since you can only get one skill point off a node when you tap it.

Source(s): 6 chracters on WoW that mine.