What does "Spare the rod and spoil the child" MEAN?

My teacher gave my class a quote by a novelist Daniel Defore (1659-1731) and we need to find out the meaning of it in simple terms.

"spare the rod and spoil the child"

can anyone please help me?? I can't seem to figure it out!

Favorite Answer

Basically, it meant that parents had a duty to spank or beat their child to make them obedient. So, if a parent did not do so, they were 'ruining' their child. There is also reference to this in the bible, where it says:

He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

The idea is that if you don't give a child firm (in this case, corporal: hitting with a "rod") discipline, the child will grow up spoilt in one way or another.

"Spoil the rod and spare the child" is a twist on the original Defoe (no "r") quote. (A quick Google search shows that this version has been used quite frequently.)

• aida

Daniel Defoe was paraphrasing the Old Testament (Proverbs 13:24 and 23:13-14), and the saying means, "If you don't best your children, they'll grow up spoiled." It's taken us a LONG time to shake off that attitude, and generations of children have grown up with mixed feelings toward their parents as a result.

If you dont punish a child when they do wrong the child will not learn and will grow up spoiled.

it means that if a parent does not discipline their child when they do something wrong they won't learn a lesson and by this spoiling them and dooming them to make the same mistakes again and again. at least thats my interpretation

Failure to properly discipline the child will lead to his/her downfall

I believe spoil to mean ruin