Can anyone explain to me why Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso has become so unpopular?

I am very interested in Japanese culture and politics, and I wanted to know why Taro Aso's approval ratings have suddenly dropped so significantly. I mean, he hasn't been in office that long. I know the approval of the LDP has not been at it's peak recently, but I thought Taro Aso would be an asset to the LDP ever since Yasuo Fukuda stepped down from office.

Favorite Answer

I don't dispute the link to WWII issues, but I do think Aso's rediculous unpopularity has much more to do with the ubber-decline in exports (as a result of the weak US dollar) which has led to record lay offs and pay/benefit cuts here in Japan. Also Aso's personal abraisiveness is most certainly a factor. He just simply isn't a likeable guy.

It was recently revealed that Aso Mining Company, his family business, used allied POWs as forced labor in their mines during World War Two. A charge he initially denied, but later confirmed. This has brought a sense of "haji" (shame) to the nation from the international attention the issue has generated.