How do you take a picture of the moon?

I have a Nikon D60..is there any way to do that?

Favorite Answer

A D60 will work just fine. I've used everything from a Minolta XG7, to Nikon F100, to a Nikon D80.

You will need long focal lengths, no way around it. I use my telescope most of the time to get the best results, but that's 1016mm long @ f/4. If you can borrow or purchase a nice Apo-chromatic or reflector telescope of 600mm or longer, and a T-ring you can get fantastic shots.

Another way is to go to a reputable camera store and rent a long lens, 500mm or longer. Renting is very affordable, ask around for the best deals and bring your camera with you so you can make sure the lens you rent will work on your camera, all you need is manual focus. It would also be a good idea to pick up a polarizer that fits the lens.

As far as shooting, here's were to start then modify it to your own needs. Start out with a 'spot meter' reading of the moon, then bracket +/- 1/3 EV steps untill you find a sweet spot. The best time to get shots of the moon is during the phases, first quarter, last quarter, etc. During the phases there are more shadows to enhance the depth and detail of the shot. Always focus on the edge of the moon's disk, don't try to focus face on unless you're using a really long lens or telescope. I mentioned manual focus, for good reason, your camera's AF system wasn't designed around that type of photography, use it in MF. Don't stop the lens down too much, most lenses are at their sharpest around f/8 to f/11, most of my shots (see link below) were at f/4. I would recommend f/8 or so to start, use a tripod and adjust your iso till your shots are bracketed around 1/100 to 1/250 sec or so.

It takes practice, lots of it. Best part is that if you don't get it one evening, you can on another. The moon has been around for at least 4 billion years, it will still be around for you when you're ready.

Good luck.

Magic Moon Formula !

Set your camera for manual mode, ISO 100, f/11, and 1/100 of a second. Take a picture. Now without changing any other settings, set the shutter speed to 1/200 and take another picture. Do the same thing at 1/400. When you’ve done those three, go the other way. Set the shutter speed to 1/50 and take a picture, then 1/25. If you aren’t using a tripod, don’t forget to brace the camera against something solid like a wall or a pole, so you don’t get camera shake. And voila! One of those is probably a pretty good shot of the moon.

Source(s): Sun Yung Moon

The moon is the same brightness as a sunny day on earth ... right? Right. (No joke). That means you can use the sunny 16 rule ... and I'm guessing you don't know what that means, so basically ...

Shutter speed --> 1/[ISO Value]

@ f/16

Another way is to simply spot meter the moon. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND60/ND60A5....

Then scroll down to Nikon D60 Metering Options.

PS: I'll agree with what bwana is saying, minus the f/22 thing. Unless you're shooting an ant in the foreground with the moon in the background, you'll want to stay away from f/22 because of diffraction.

Unfortunately, unless there is something really amazing about the moon, or if you happen to have a telescopic lens, pictures of the moon through a normal camera are not going to be very impressive.

The best suggestion I can make is to take a pictures with the moon in it. It's not really a picture of the moon per se, but I get the impression you are interested in trying to take a picture of the moon while it is big and bright. Try taking a picture of a person in such a way that he or she creates a silhouette and the moon is doing the "one third" rule. That would make a decent picture.

Otherwise, a regular camera taking a photo of an object thousands of miles away would lead to a pretty boring picture. Just try to spice up the photo with some other subject to make it interesting.

Good luck!

• BWANA

You need an extremely good tripod. One that will not drift.

You need a good quality, "long" lens that will bring the Moon in as close as possible. At least a 300mm, but a 600mm would be even better.

Set the f-stop on the smallest possible, like f22. The shutter speed can be slow since you're on a tripod. Do most of the shots on manual, but you can also try automatic if you want, as long as it's on aperture priority. Experiment and shoot many shots until you come up with a combination you like that will produce the kind of photo you want. Bracket, bracket, bracket...

Source(s): Professional Wildlife Cinematographer, Photographer, & Naturalist 38 years.

I looked up your camera and it says you have a night portrait feature on there so my best bet is to try the night feature with flash and see if it works. if not try a regular portrait with flash and zoom in all the way.

Source(s): I love photography

You usually use a camera