Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Jurisdiction in United States?

How does jurisdiction in United States work?

Update:

I am making some report from ethics, and I need to know how Jurisdiction in United States work in this way, e.g.:

If some guy (lets call him Mark - civilian) accidentally kills someone. He goes to the court. Well, because I'm not from US, I would like to know how does that court calls, and what steps (courts) would he go trough, if his case would get all the way to the highest court with highest jurisdiction in US (that i also don't know how its called. I think that this is called a Subject-matter jurisdiction, and of course what is the difference between federal and state jurisdiction.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Federal government has jurisdiction throughout the United States its Territories and Possessions for the enforcement of Federal Law. Different Federal agencies may have specific types of Federal Laws that they enforce (customs, borders, counterfeiting, fugitives, drugs, immigrations, terrorism), or enforce laws on Federal Property (National Parks, Military Bases, Federal Buildings, Federal Lands, Indian Reservations, ect.) The FBI handles the most serious violation of Federal Law, and crimes committed on Federal property.

State Police; enforce state laws throughout their state, primarily on state roads, state lands, and serious or multi jurisdictional crimes.

County Sheriffs; have jurisdiction primarily within their county, and are the primary law enforcement in unincorporated areas.

City Police; are the primary law enforcement agency for incorporated cities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are State Courts and Federal Courts, each had jurisdiction over violations committed within or under there jurisdiction. Each has trial courts, appeals courts, and supreme courts, with the US Supreme Court being the highest court. State crimes are heard in the state system and can only move into the federal appeals system if there is an alleged violation of federal (Constitutional) protection. A party who wants that court to review a decision of a federal or state court files a "petition for writ of certiorari" in the Supreme Court.

Source(s): Cop
  • 1 decade ago

accidentally killing someone is still charged for recklessness, etc that may have caused the death. if it was in the car, it is called "vehicular manslaughter" even if it was an accident. The highest court is called the "supreme court". Federal and state jurisdiction constantly clash. Any law that the federal law does not discuss (for example: gay marriage is neither allowed nor banned at the federal level), then the states have the choice. Thats why you can marry same-sex in some places in the US and not others

• 3 years ago

There are State Courts and Federal Courts, each had jurisdiction over violations committed within or under there jurisdiction. Each has trial courts, appeals courts, and supreme courts, with the US Supreme Court being the highest court. State crimes are heard in the state system and can only move into the federal appeals system if there is an alleged violation of federal (Constitutional) protection. A party who wants that court to review a decision of a federal or state court files a "petition for writ of certiorari" in the Supreme Court.

• mcvey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Say that out loud; doesnt it sound stupid? we are the only u . s . interior the international with a ethical distant places coverage. We sacrifice constantly in the direction of international peace, exceptionally interior the midsection east. we are the main honest and regulation abiding u . s .. We fund the UN and persist with commerce rules. we ought to continually have the international courtroom, no longer another u . s .. in case you think of so, youd greater effectual help it, by using fact in any different case that merely appears like blatant anti-americanism. I wont call it treason.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.