Living in San Francisco?

-What are some good bike shops?

-Should I keep my car?

-What is the best neighborhood for an 18 year old to live attending San Francisco State?

-What kind of job should I have aside of school to help pay for my housing?

-Do I need roomates?

Tell me all you know about living in SF, please.

Favorite Answer

Maybe ditch your car and use Zipcar (see Zipcar.com) for any trips to the grocery store or other big trips; you can always rent a car to go on a road trip, but parking in SF is murder! I've gotten rid of my car; Zipcar has insurance built-in and it's like 8 bucks an hour for grocery shopping, etc.

Bike shops: I would buy a bike from Craigslist used. Big Swingin' Cycles and Valencia Cycles are best for maintenance and gear; Lombardi's and REI are a rip-off. Hybrid bikes are the best for this city; be warned there are hills so Muni is good for going across town.

For attending SF State, I would look in the Sunset/Richmond district; there's also an apartment complex right next door to campus called Parkmerced, but BE WARNED that it's kind of loud with a lot of students, tons of break-ins to cars and some apartments, and management apparently likes to change terms of rental agreements once you sign, so if you opt for Parkmerced, then just be sure to get in writing from them exactly how long their terms are going to last. They also tend to drop their prices towards the end of the month. Go to craigslist.org for apartment listings. You may also check these neighborhoods: Ingleside (but it can be a little unsafe in some parts), Glen Park, West Portal (nice!) if you want to stay near campus.

You can always get a job at Starbuck's or cafes or even on campus, or a movie theatre. I like the hours of those shifts when I was in college. Bookstores are good, too. Ideally, have some retail experience already for a bookstore. The other two will train.

If you go the roommate route, check out metrorents.com or roommatereferral.com. BE WARNED: ALWAYS check references and meet in person (I ended up with a crack addict from roommatereferral, but if I'd checked up on her I would have found out), and if you look at housing ads on craigslist, look out for scammers who ask for a credit report PRIOR to showing the place (ALWAYS hand that in person after you've seen a place -- or at least be sure you're talking to a real property manager).

I think when you're young it's fun to have roommates, but make sure it's someone who's not insane first. : ) It depends on your budget whether or not you need one, but if you're new to the area, I think it would be a great way to make friends. :) Good luck!

It is a tough decision to keep your car since at SF State it is hard to find parking. If you decide not to, there is plenty of public transportation including MUNI and Bart that can get you practically anywhere in the city. I would suggest living with roomates in an apt or home and rent out a room each nearby the school maybe Park Merced area. You could work on campus at SF State to make traveling easier or work nearby at a restaurant or somewhere similar. You could also work downtown for a more hectic experience considering all the people you would meet, and taking bart or MUNI or driving there. Good luck!

Sandra, I would seriously suggest that U ditch your car and rely on a bicycle, much easier 2 park, no need 4 gas, no license needed and insurance can be covered by a good lock. Make sure U have a good gear ratio tho, cuz the hills can be brutal!!

I MAJOR benefit about the SF Municipal transit system is all the busses have bike racks!!

Much of my time spent in SF I was homeless, and I can tell U that it is nearly impossible 2 starve in the city. There are more free food places in SF than NE other place I've been.

Best of luck 2 U, enjoy the city, lord knows I did!!

Timothy

:o)

It sure is a tough decision whether to keep your car or not. You can ride your bike/bus to school and work...But there are so many great things outside of SF that would be great to see!! Housing is verrrrry expensive in SF so you, being a college student will probably need a roomate. For a job...Look for some sort of waitress job! Either in the Wharf area, or North Beach...Even in the Haight Ashbury area. You will make GREAT tips because they area always packed with tourists!!! Good luck, enjoy SF!

Source(s): Living in the bay area.

Probably ditch the car since parking, street cleaning and all would add an overhead expense. For going out of city trips, there are lots of options with car rentals. Companies like zip cars dot the city in pickup locations. You can rent their cars by hour or days and are a good alternative.

Lombardi, REI and Perofrmance Bike are some of the bigger bike/sports stores around with great selection of bikes.

Good answers above. I just wanted to point out that it is not true that *all* Muni buses have bike racks, and since it is possible/probable you'll be taking the streetcar (since it goes directly to SFSU), they do not allow bikes on them at all.

Here's Muni bike info:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/bcomm/BikesonMuni.htm

Sandra, you should not ask me these questions about San Francisco as i do not know anything about SF