New methods for testing blood sugar levels?

This past summer I've had a problem keeping my blood sugar level up, it seems to let me know when it's time to eat again! 2 days ago I had the worst episode and was taken to the emergency room because I couldn't get my blood sugar level up enough. After the ER Doctor had some tests performed he confirmed what I already knew but he wasn't a big help after that. I have to deal with this more seriously now and I do have an appointment next week with my family doctor. Of course he'll want to do some more testing I'm sure. I've been looking online at the new methods for testing blood sugar levels and I'm just wanting to know if anyone out there has tried any new and innovative ways that work for testing, any suggestions, comments, etc. If any of you have any questions or suggestions and would like to email me, please feel free to do so.

Favorite Answer

Diabetes and Continuous Glucose Monitoring

A continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) is an FDA-approved device that records blood sugar levels throughout the day and night. There are a number of technologies that are being tested but the only approved device -- Medtronic's MiniMed device -- can provide up to 288 glucose measurements every 24 hours. The system is used to measure an average blood sugar for up to 3 days, while the person with diabetes continues daily activities at home.

How Does the Device Work for Diabetes?

First, a tiny glucose-sensing device called a "sensor" is inserted just under the skin of your abdomen. The insertion is quick, and is usually not painful. It's very similar to insertion of an insulin pump catheter. Tape is used to hold it in place.

The sensor measures the level of glucose in the tissue every 10 seconds and sends the information via a wire to a pager-sized device called a "monitor" that you attach to a belt or the waistline of your pants. The system automatically records an average glucose value every 5 minutes for up to 72 hours.

Results of at least four finger stick blood sugar readings taken with a standard glucose meter and taken at different times each day are entered into the monitor for calibration. Any insulin taken, exercise engaged in, and meals or snacks consumed are both entered into a paper-based "diary" and recorded into the monitor (by pushing a button to mark the time of the meals, medication, exercise, and other special event you wish to record).

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?tQGg

2

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?digi
  • Gary B

The ONLY valid way is a glucomter, a hand held test meter, and the associated strips. The alternative -- visiting a medical lab everyday -- is VERY expensive.

If you're depending on ER doctors,s then you are taking the wrong approach. You need to develop a relationship with a family doctor. Depending on why your blood sugars are low, you may need referral to a specialist.

In either case, most doctors can GIVE you a glucometer. The only costs you will have to pay are for the test strips.

it is VERY important that you measure you blood sugars frequently -- at least 3-4 times a day. Also, keep a log book which contains your blood sugar reading, the times you took them, the times of your meals, what and how much you ate, AND any exercise you did. (including sex!).

This information will be VERY important to your doctor to help determine a proper treatment plan.

My sis is Hypoglycemic. She has been for years, and is a school bus driver. She cannot ever let go of her control of this problem.

She has eaten very low carb food plan for more than 25 years. It helps if the glucose does not spike and crash like you are evidently doing.

She has to eat every 3 hours, and takes her snack on the bus with her. Usually beef jerky and dried apples. Peanut butter sandwiches also work if you are going to be away from the kitchen very long at a time.

testing is done with a glucometer. But your doctor has to give your insurance company a reason why they should pay for the strips for testing. Most do not think Hypos are a good reason.