Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Explain like I'm stupid: A cold, mostly empty, mostly hostile universe proves (details) ?

Explain like I'm stupid:

A cold, mostly empty, mostly hostile universe proves that your imaginary friend exists and loves you?

How d'ye figger?

Update:

@ ZERO COOL, I've seen that video. Dr. Tyson is a treasure.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I think you might appreciate this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1cKD93W3yg

Youtube thumbnail

Good ol' Neil deGrasse Tyson!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Prof
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The phrase 'mostly empty' doesn't, in all honesty, do it justice; so let me help you out there with some imagination on *just* how empty the universe is, and *just* how hostile the universe is:

- The 'habitable' proportion of the universe (ie, where we can live) is just 1 x 10^-65 of the universe; that's 1 divided by 10 followed by 64 zeros - a number so small that we don't have a name for it!

- The average density of matter throughout all but a minute proportion of the universe is equivalent to that of 6 specks of dust in an otherwise empty Grand Central Station!

- Even the 'habitable'' proportion is mostly empty space, in that if an atom's nucleus were to be increased to the size of the Sun then the innermost electron shell would be at a distance 4 times further away than Pluto, with nothing between it and the nucleus!

- On the Earth itself, there are several billion species of life, all but a few hundred of which would kill us either quickly or slowly!

- And in the overwhelming majority of the Universe, we would either burn, freeze, suffocate or explode within 5 seconds of exposure!

So, a 'loving god' made this place for us, and the 'evidence for god' is in his creation and all around us!? If that's the best evidence, then he is either careless, hates us, or plain doesn't exist!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

According to recent subatomic theory, electrons are singularities, meaning they take up no space at all, i.e. their radius is zero. The same might be said for the quarks and gluons that are what protons and neutrons are made of. So you could say based on this that an atom is 100% empty space. On the other hand, maybe all these particles are actually super small vibrating superstrings, but as to how much space these strings take up is hard to know, maybe a grain of rice for the whole Universe is indeed accurate. We just don't know.

• 1 decade ago

I will take your question as rhetorical and fire another one back at you.

I am the result of blind, unknowing, inanimate forces (and yes I accept this, truly). But I am not only alive, I have this thing called consciousness. I know who I am and have some sense of this huge universe. So, how has this happened? How can that which is dead and unconscious produce not only life but awareness of being alive?

Careful with the obvious reply that consciousness is merely the by-product of our large brain size; because if that's true it then follows that everything you say and think is due to electrochemical impulses within the few pounds of goo inside your skull. And if that's so, you don't "know" anything, nor does anyone else; so your question and my answer have no meaning. We are just playing games of stimulus and response. Yet we are both behaving as though something quite serious and indeed meaningful is at stake here.

How d'ye figger?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steven
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Extra terrestrial life could not exist were it not for some extremely fine tuning in a number of areas, some of which were not fully grasped until the 20th century.

Earth's location in the Milky Way galaxy and the solar system, as well as the planet's orbit, tilt, rotation speed, and moon.

A magnetic field and atmosphere that serve as a dual shield.

An abundance of water

Natural cycles that replenish and cleanse the biosphere.

We could go on and on about the moon. It is just the right size!!!!

The moon is large in relationship to its host planet, the moon is the principal cause of ocean tides which play a vital role in the planets ecology. The moon also contributes to earth's stable spin axis. Without its tailor-made moon, our planet would wobble like a spinning top perhaps even tipping right over and turning on its side.

The resulting climatic, tidal, and other changes would be catastrophic.

so our moon is just as essential to our survival as the planet is.

• Ruth
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Earth's perfect tilt and spin: 23.5 degrees causes the annual cycle of seasons, moderates temperature s and enables a wide range of climate zones. Our planets tilt axis seems to be just right!

Also, just right is the length of day and night as a result of earths spin.

If the rotation period were substantially longer, the side of the earth facing the sun would bake while the other side froze.

If days were shorter, perhaps just a few hours shorter earths rapid spin would cause relentless gale force winds and the earth would not have life.

But this tilt which so far we do not see on any other planet, just happened.

• The universe is, in a sense, infinitely big and infinitely small. It is relatively very, very hot in comparison to earth and is not at all empty, you just have to look at the details. God is in the details the Chaos we see every time us scientific types try to look at the the very small or the very big. In many ways they are the same thing.

Your answer is in the details. We just need to do a bit of maths.

• I think King of the Woad hit the nail on the head.

Seriously. I'm stunned by the Zen-like brilliance of that answer.

There is no spoon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the cold and empty and mostly hostile universe gave birth to you, no ?

how d'ye figger ?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We are just now learning things God told people long ago.

The earth is suspended in space.

(Job 26:7) He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the earth upon nothing;

The earth is round.

(Isaiah 40:22) There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell,

The atmosphere is like a fine gauze, that protects the earth one scientist has said.

Water moves in a cycle, driven by jet streams of cold and hot air.

How this works scientists are amazed but know without it the land would be a baren waste.

(Ecclesiastes 1:7) All the winter torrents are going forth to the sea, yet the sea itself is not full. To the place where the winter torrents are going forth, there they are returning so as to go forth.

One scientists journal is stated "The Universe is governed by laws and order that makes you think the earth knew we would one day be here."

• Jimbo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

In a universe suddenly divested of illusion and lights, man finds himself an alien, a stranger.

Source(s): Camus
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.