Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

What are my chances of getting into UW Madison?

I currently have a 3.75 GPA through my first semester of sophomore year. I have already taken the ACT once, and got a 29. For extracurricular activities, I am a captain of the football team, student class vice president, play varsity golf, am a member of our school's athletic advisory board, and am part of Brown County Teen Leadership and NHS. I live in Wisconsin, and come from an upper-middle class white family.

One, what are my chances of getting into UW Madison?

Two, how important do you think volunteer hours are to a college?

Favorite Answer

I think you have an excellent chance of being accepted and would be very surprised if you weren't.

The average high school GPA of admitted students is 3.8, so you are right on target. All your extracurriculars will really help you look well rounded. Like another poster said being from Wisconsin will help as well.

I was accepted with a 4.3 GPA (we did weighted grades), ACT of 30, NHS, Drama club, and Tennis. I didn't have any volunteer hours besides what was required from NHS. I don't believe they ask for the actual hours on the application. The ones you already have done/ will have to do are most likely sufficient.

I go to UW, and based on my own experience of applying, you are basically a shoo-in. Your ACT is within the average range which is about 27-30 I believe. Your GPA is fine, just keep it up.

I was accepted without being wait-listed and my ACT was worse than yours, a 27, though my GPA was a 3.9. And I had FAR less extracurriculars than you. I am from Wisconsin as well. This is a big deal for this university. UW-Madison is MUCH harder to get into if you are out of state. Volunteer work shouldn't really matter too much for you, you have so much else you've done.

Source(s): UW student.

100%