Cassandra C asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Taming a feral kitten to be an outdoor cat?

Does anyone have any tips on looking after a feral kitten? Just about 1 week ago I caught a feral kitten who was motherless. We set up a trap to capture it. We were successful but it was so ferocious. I intend to keep this kitten. But it has to be an outdoor cat because he isn't allowed to go inside the house (room-mates). Are there any tips to teaching a feral cat how to come back to its home? We have a kitten-pen in the backyard with a kitty litter, food, bed, etc. I'm scared to let him out of the pen because the kitten always goes next-door and plays with the other cat. But, this cat isn't so friendly and tries to attack the kitten. HELP!!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if it is a kitten you can tame it fairly easily. keep it in the pen and spend lots of time with it. once it turns friendly then you can let it out. if you let it out before then, then you will have a cat that obviously won't come back.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Ya, keeping it outside is not going to tame it.

Bring the kitten inside, away from everyone and other animals. Spend time with it, in the room, but do not force the issue, this will take time. Let the cat trust that you will not hurt it, and by being calm and patient, the cat will become comfortable. This process will take weeks if not more time than that.

The cat will eventually realize that you mean food and water, and no threat. It will prob come around to get pet and from curiousity, with time. I have seen many ferals become domesticated, over time, and with huge leather gloves for protection, lol, I work at an animal shelter.

Remember, holding the cat by the back of the neck does not hurt it, and should put it into a submissive state. The grip will give you time to maneuover it around if you need to. If you are holding it like that and it still is "freakin out", watch yourself.

Good luck.

• 3 years ago

i think of you ought to circulate look at them. 8 weeks continues to be youthful, so even without plenty human interaction a probably wild kitten can nevertheless become a loving cat. Did the pal work together with the kittens in any respect in this time? How could no longer she in the event that they have been in her basement? I as quickly as accompanied a kitten that substitute into seen feral. He had no past human interaction. He grew to become out to be an exceedingly loving and clever cat. this does not continuously take place, even though it extremely is achievable. additionally some thing you may pick to think approximately is the veterinary expenditures linked with this variety of adoption. Shelters many times attempt for FIV and FeLV, supply a typical set of photographs, deworming and spay/neuter. you certainly do no longer pick to circulate without those well-being care needs.

• 1 decade ago

So you have a wild cat that you want to keep outside as a pet?

Sorry, that's like putting a balloon outside and telling it not to float away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i would find cat treats or give the cat small pieces of ham to keep the cat in your yard whenever it tries to go away.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.