This may be the meanest question I've ever asked... but I am totally serious and want honest answers?

Sorry if this appears twice but Y/A appears to be having problems today. Have you ever seen someone who is (or appears to be) married, and it is obvious they make no effort whatsoever to make themselves attractive for their spouse? My husband and I were walking into a store last night and walking out was a... show more Sorry if this appears twice but Y/A appears to be having problems today.

Have you ever seen someone who is (or appears to be) married, and it is obvious they make no effort whatsoever to make themselves attractive for their spouse?

My husband and I were walking into a store last night and walking out was a family (or it looked to be) with 3 kids. The mother was about 350 lbs, her hair was basically a 1-inch high afro, her shirt was too tight and her belly was sticking out the bottom, and she had bits of hair growing on her face in places it shouldn't be. My husband said - and honestly it was not meant to be funny or even insulting - that she might be the most unattractive person he's ever seen, and I have to agree she's a top contender.

We've all seen people like this. This isn't a slag against overweight people - there were many things she can easily do to improve herself even without losing the weight. I'm talking about people who clearly don't give a damn, and I wonder how their spouse sees it.

I'm sure many will not actually read it carefully or understand my question and think I have something against unattractive people. But I am really asking - how happy can the spouses be of people who obviously make no effort whatsoever? I can only guess this man must think his wife just doesn't care what he thinks... but I suppose maybe he really doesn't care himself.

I prepare for the wave of hate email....
Update: The husband was not really attractive but he was shaven, wearing clothes appropriate for his body, etc... i.e he was presentable. He did not strike me as especially appallingly UNattractive.

He makes SOME effort is what I mean.
Update 2: Belinda Can't afford a comb??? They are like 45 cents. Even people in the poorest parts of the world have combs. Even a cheap-azz hairbrush is like 2 bucks. They were coming out of a store with probably $200 worth of groceries. And she had a cell phone. So although they did strike me as relatively... show more Belinda

Can't afford a comb??? They are like 45 cents. Even people in the poorest parts of the world have combs. Even a cheap-azz hairbrush is like 2 bucks.

They were coming out of a store with probably $200 worth of groceries. And she had a cell phone. So although they did strike me as relatively poor..

For $30 I could buy her a hair brush, a pair of tweezers, and a cheap outfit at WalMart that would look FAR better.
Update 3: Daddy's Girl I am not making fun of anyone. I want to know how people like this think. I find it hard to presume he is OK with it, but I am willing to accept the possibility. I am not talking about people who are just plain unattractive. I am talking about people who do ZERO to make themselves attractive. show more Daddy's Girl I am not making fun of anyone. I want to know how people like this think.

I find it hard to presume he is OK with it, but I am willing to accept the possibility.

I am not talking about people who are just plain unattractive. I am talking about people who do ZERO to make themselves attractive.
Update 4: Yes I saw Amber's answer. But I don't retalliate or name call (except for trolls).
I made a lot of people mad. I knew I would.

Of COURSE it's not "all about looks". Duh.
Update 5: One last thing....

I find it interesting how most people who yell at me for "judging people" are also calling me a slu t, skan k, or otherwise insulting (i.e. judging) me.

We ALL judge. The biggest difference between you and me is that I don't lie and say I don't.
Update 6: One more last thing again LOL

The woman in "Shallow Hal" is not the kind of person I am talking about. She was simply obese. She still brushed her hair/teeth, and wore appropriate clothing. She was simply obese... not appalling.