Is this verse referring to "physical" death as well as spiritual death?

Would the planet be over populated without "physical" death?

Genesis 2:17

but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Favorite Answer

It meant that on the day they eat of that tree they would have the sentence of death on them, but not that they would die physically then and there. The sentence of both physical and spiritual.

And yes, it's mind-boggling when you think of the fact that if millions of people had not died in previous generations, we would not be here because there would be no room for us, it seems to me. I mean overpopulation is one reason why Jesus will come again. Everything will have a way of coming together at the same time, I mean all the reasons why we need to escape this world.

It is referring to spiritual death which brings about physical death. Remember "death" just means "separation" so God meant that Adam and Even would be "separated" from Him forever (until the Messiah came and died on the cross) the day they ate of the tree. It had to mean spiritual death because they obviously didn't die physically that day. We know they didn't or Cain and Able wouldn't have been born.

Yes, it is speaking of both.

Gen. 3:22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.

If Adam had eaten of the tree of life, all of mankind would have been doomed to be eternally separated from God. That's why God banished him from Eden.

I Cor. 15:22 For as in Adam all die (physically and spiritually), even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

Heb. 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die (physical) once, but after this the judgment.

Source(s): The New Open Bible Study Edition, NKJV

It was the beginning of the dying process of our bodies. Basically I suppose we can look at all the illnesses which now plague our world, they were not part of the Garden of Eden existence.

When Jesus returns to raise the dead and set up the Kingdom for his Father then there will be a reversal of that curse. Sin and death will eventually be done away with.

Spiritual death is surely more to do with people turning their backs on God, especially when they have known His ways.

He was talking about dying spirtually because you see that as soon as they ate the fruit they knew good and evil. Spiritually, they were not alive and Holy. As God said in Genisis 3:22 "And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:.." Here, i think he was referring to Himself, the angels, and satan and his demons because they know all these things. But was is interesting is the second part of this verse: "...and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" Later in verse 24 it explains that this is why he put the flaming sword at the gates of Eden so No one can get to the tree of life: "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."

I don't know why this tree was not mentioned in the beginning but God did not want any man to eat from this tree either.

Source(s): Bible

Most Likely !

I cant Help but notice how much time man as a whole has wasted !

Look How far we have come and yet, we have not really achieved any goals that are beyond our own personal wants or needs !

We could be Exploring Space and other Planets personally by now but, it always comes down to money !

I guess we had to have limits set on us.

We are way to selfish to have unlimited life, for now !

EDIT: Sorry, kind of off subject !

I have a habit of contemplating things that are way bigger than me or my little piece of the world.

We preach from where we are at !

Obviously the primary reference is to spiritual death. Because Adam and Even lived hundreds of years after that.

I Cr 13;8a

I know this sounds stupid but up until a short few years ago I did not understand this story and did not realize they spiritually died. I just thought they would die even though they did not die after they ate. I thought that just meant they could not live forever (physically). I had NO idea it meant spiritual death.

It Means Both, Adam and Eve would have remained Immortal in their Physical Bodies had they not done so and disobeyed, And yes they did Die spiritually and was separated from God by or through their sin

• Niente

I think it refers to both.

Physical death did not exist before Adam and Eve's sin, and neither did spiritual because there was no sin.