Matt JB asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Will Barack Obama raise the price of ammunition?

Someone at work told me that he wanted to do that to make it more expensive to shoot guns.

Man, that really sucks. I've been buying ammo for a .44 magnum revolver. thats already expensive as it is!

Favorite Answer

this was out of a Field and Stream magazine

--Obama has supported banning hundreds of rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and sport shooting

--Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to put firearms industry out of business

--Obama supports mandated national registry of all firearms owners.

--Obama voted to ban almost ALL rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and shooting sports.

--Obama supported increasing taxes on firearms and ammunition by 500%.

--Obama also supports: -A Total Ban on Handguns -A Ban on the Sale or Transfer of All Semi-Auto Firearms -A Ban on Right-to-Carry Permits -A Ban on Firearms Kept in the Home

--Obama has made it clear – he believes gun owners are DANGEROUS and that guns should be banned. If he is elected President, he could name new Supreme Court Justices who will try to overturn the recent court decision and strip our rights away.

I think demand along with the possibility of additional firearms legislation due to BO's position on firearms, is what is raising the cost right now.

Obama is not yet in office but the run on guns and ammo has been about the best going business for the last few months. No problem with that industry needing a bailout.

I priced ammo a few days ago from major discounters at several sites on line. I used to pay what I though was big money for a box of 38 +p ammo in a defensive load. Back then the expensive stuff was about 15 bucks a box. I have seen the same stuff now for $53.00 a box for 50 bullets. That's over a buck a shot. My Remington Copper solid sabot for 12 Gage now cost at least 16 bucks a box. That's over $3.00 a shot.

Demand is driving it now but if taxes get increased( or maybe already have been) expect it to go to 3-5 bucks a shot eventually. Even reloading supplies have hit high water marks already for ALL components.

This is just one of the many items that taxes will be raised on. Hang onto your tush.

Whether or not Obama wishes to do this or not, there are factions in the now liberally controlled House, motivated by liberal special interest extremists, who do not believe in the 2nd Amendment and who will stop at nothing to try and disarm the citizen, regardless that it would have not effect on the illegal possession and misuse of firearms and ammunition by criminals. We were warned many years ago by the founding fathers that this would eventually come about, that a "government" would begin to try and rule the people rather than the people ruling the "government" and that it would become once again necessary to defend our rights from being infringed. I hope we can do this amicably and peacefully (again) at the voting box. God forbid that any person in "government" send in police or and army to try and take away our guns. As the old guy in NOLA said about the prospect of looters coming to take his things, "The atmosphere 'round my place gonna get heavy....with lead." Give me liberty or give me death, freedom is worth dying for. Guns in the hands of law abiding citizens do not kill innocents. Criminals kill innocents. I have guns and there are no dead bodies in the streets caused by their existence or frequent use. It is the criminal element that need be rounded up and contained, not firearms. Those who would choose to defile and disregard our Constitution and the Bill of Rights are criminal as well.

• Dana H

There's rumor and then there's FactCheck.

The president can push for certain things but any kind of 2nd Amendment issue still has to face scrutiny in Congress.

I do recall Obama's campaign discussion saying he supports hunters rights and the 2nd Amendment. I'm inclined to believe he will stick with that promise but may support assault weapons bans. I think the current run-up in prices is rumor driven and will fall back later this year (around the time I need to buy more ammo.)

Ever notice how gas prices go up just on rumor, even before it actually goes through the whole oil processing/gas distribution phase?

http://www.davekopel.org/V/factcheck-flubs-obama-g...

(be sure to check the telling comments at the end about the NRA)

It sure sounds like that will be his first 'foot-in the door'. He is VERY anti-gun. I'm not 100% how fast things will evolve, I hope not at all, but I have learned one thing in life: that there is a definite line between paranoid and prepared. I chose to be prepared. There is no down side to buying guns and ammo if you can afford it!! It's just another good reason!! Keep your powder dry!! Hope for the best.

That is the rumor that is going around on all sort of gun and hunting forums and the discussion at most work places.

Truely it isn't good for gun owners right now. Look at his record in his own state at what he voted for and against. Plus look who he is putting in his cabinet. Hilary...we know about the Clinton assault weapon ban among other things.

It doesn't look good for us gun owners. Right now people are stocking up like crazy on ammo, bullets, powder, brass and primers for reloading. I know I haven't went crazy yet with buying ammo or the components for my reloading, but I have been stocking up a little at a time.

• pacdog

He plans on raising the tax on ammunition to make it harder for the average citizen to defend themselves. I have been to three gun shows and everyone there is buying up ammo like crazy. He also is planning on reinstating the Clinton weapon ban.

The reality is that we don't know.

Obama has shown himself to be a very anti-legal gun owner than most, but he has alot on his plate right now, and ticking off all gun owners wouldn't be a great idea.

Best idea is to start reloading.

• Master

Prediction of the behavior of the modern liberal is difficult.

Prediction of the future behavior of a crack smoking, cigarette addicted, Chicago Marxist is impossible.

The only sure thing is that every action taken will be calculated to ensure highest probability of second term election win.

IMHO firearm confiscation won't start until last year of second term.

I dont think he will raise the price but maybe more of a tax but what tax isnt going up? i think there will be more of a intensive process of buying weapons and ammo maybe have a background for ammo as well instead of letting 18 yr olds buy and felonies that already own guns by ammo. if i were president thats what i do but who know yet what he will do.