Fang asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

If a compound bow has a 50# draw weight what is it capable of taking down?

I have a compound bow at a 29" draw length with a 50# draw. If I were using field-tips or broad-heads, what would I be able to take down?

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

You can take some small game (rabbits, squirrel, etc ...) with the field tips but if you want to take a deer then you need a good razor sharp broadhead. It doesn't take much to penetrate the skin. That 50 lb bow will work. It may not move as fast as a 70 or 80 lb bow but it's still sufficient. If the arrow will go in 6 inches then when the deer goes through the woods the arrow will keep doing damage as the arrow hits against trees when he runs past them. The main thing you need to do is anticipate how a deer moves when the sound of a bow is shot. That quick flushing sound of the string will spook a deer before the arrow gets to it. When the deer hears it he will squat and turn back a lot of times. If you don't anticipate his movement with a slower shooting bow then when he squats the arrow could go over him when you take your shot because the deer spooked. You'll have to take a few shots and see what happens. You may miss the first few deer with your bow but after you get the first one then they will come easier and you can learn to better anticipate a deer's reactions. If your bow is quiet enough then the deer may not fletch at all.

I like to go with 4 broadheads and at least 2 field tips in case I want to try for a trophy rabbit or squirrel while waiting on a deer.

My bow is set at 45 pounds,only because a shoulder problem dictates that I do so.I have shot plenty of deer and recovered them all without a problem,I also shot a 270 pound black bear using this set up again no problems.It all comes down to shot placement,would I crank my bow up to 60 or 70 pounds,sure I would but I cant.If you shoot your best at 50 pounds then stick with that.I did read an article once about a hunter taking a bull moose using a 50 pound draw weight,I wouldn't recommend that but it just goes to show that a well placed arrow is the key,not poundage

50 lbs of draw weight is plenty for most any North American (and a few African) game animals -- including elk. It depends on shot placement, broadhead sharpness/design and the arrow itself.

But if the arrow is crap, the shot will be crap -- no matter how expensive or "fast" the bow is. All the bow does is send the arrow on its way....

Think about it: Native Americans (to name only one "primitive" culture) were taking elk, bison, deer, bear, etc with bows of less than 50 lb draw weights before the Europeans "discovered" the "New World". They obvioulsy were using equipment of high quality and high efficiency, including their arrows -- and with deadly accuracy.

Without good arrows, made for the bow/archer/use combination, whatever bow you choose is just another bow.

Addendum: Don't use field/target points on small game. Use blunts -- they do more actual damage to the animal than field/target points.

Addendum 2: "Judo" points are blunts, they just have a fancy name. :-)

• Coasty

Depends on your ability to shoot. I know people who hunt white tail, mule deer, and brown bear with that weight bow. Bear are taken from a tree stand but I personally would not hunt bear with less than an 80 lb draw. I know people who do I do not. Anything smaller than a mule deer is fine. Oryx or Ibex or Elk are out in my opinion. Different states have different laws of bow draw weight.

hi there Jim most compounds will drop 15 pounds in draw weight, each single turn on the limb bolts will drop you 3 pounds do each exactly the same, if i were you i would go with the 60# it will drop to 45 or sowith the let off you should be able to handle it, have fun shoot safe

• Irv S

Well, Howard Hill took a Cape buffalo, ..... but he could shoot,

and had a guide with a double rifle to back him up..

50# with broadheads can take just about anything, but don't

expect it to stop quickly. Arrows kill by bleeding.

I totally agree with Archerdude only I use Judo points for small game. Less lost arrows and more hitting and shock power. IMHO

50# should be about right with whitetail deer but that also depends on the distance of the shot

All types of game you can eat .