Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Better director: Billy Wilder or Sidney Lumet?

In your opinion

Notable films:

Billy Wilder - The Apartment, Double Indemnity, Some Like It Hot, Stalag 17, Sunset Boulevard

Sidney Lumet - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, Serpico, 12 Angry Men

Favorite Answer

I'll go with Sidney Lumet. Dog Day Afternoon is an excellent movie ("ATTICA"). One of the most interesting movies I have ever seen. Out of other movies I've enjoyed by him, one of my other favorites is Long Day's Journey Into Night starring Katharine Hepburn.

However, I must say I enjoyed Billy Wilder's Rhythm on the River.

:)

Which do you prefer?

Honestly, I have no real notion of what all a director does. I mean, they're are times when I see a movie like Vanity Fair and I think the actors were good but the movie sucked, so I guess it's the directors fault.

Anyways, I think Some Like It Hot is one of the funniest movies ever made. Double Indemnity is just awesome, The Apartment is sweet and, Sunset Boulevard is grand.

So are Sabrina and Love In The Afternoon which both star Audrey Hepburn who is just a doll. I also like The Seven Year Itch and Irma La Douce.

So Billy Wilder for me just because all those movies are great. He must be doing something right.

I like both but since I love the movie Dog Day, I'll go with Sidney Lumet

take care

dave

• PJ

Lumet. He managed to keep 12 Angry Men interesting without any kind of elaborate set. Still one of my favorites to this day.

----

Who would you pick?