Is it safe to blend ice using a blender?

hi, a lot of smoothie recipes that i come across tend to say 'blend ice'. i was wondering if this is safe, wont the blades get ruined? and if i dont dont do this, what will happen?

thanks

i meant to say if i dont add ice to the recipe, what will happen to the smoothie? also instead of blending it, can i just place crushed ice?

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

If you don’t add ice, then the smoothie will likely not have the volume that you want. It also won’t be very cold, unless the other ingredients are chilled or frozen thoroughly beforehand. Also, some recipes require ice to dilute the smoothie recipe, which might be too strong or concentrated otherwise. You can just serve the drink over ice, as long as it isn’t a concentrate like I described above. If you are uncertain about the strength of your blender, this might be the way to go. Of course, you could always go halfway and blend part of the ice into the drink and use the rest as cubes in the glasses when serving.

You can blend some ice in the blender, although this isn’t advisable unless you have a blender with multiple speeds or an ice crusher feature. Also, try not to crowd too much ice into the blender container, as the motor can and will burn out, even in models that claim to have an ice crusher feature. You might have to partially crush the ice in small batches in your blender before mixing the rest of the drink together. You can crush the ice the rest of the way when it is mixed into the drink.

Above all, go slowly and be careful how much ice you use and how large and hard the pieces are. I have actually burned out blenders that have an ice crusher feature before so I know that it is possible to burn out the motor and/or ruin the blades if you try to crush too much ice too quickly. If you do have a problem, it will likely be in the form of a slightly burnt smell coming from the motor, which might signal that it has become overheated or burned out entirely.

• shawl

Ice In Blender

• Noccie

Yes it is safe. The blender's whole purpose in life is to make smoothies! Plain old crushed ice won't do it. You'll have a liquid drink with ice not a smoothie.

You'd have to make a million smoothies to ruin those blades.

yes it is safe to blend is in a blender. after a long period of time the blades will be ruined but when it happens you can just get new blades. what do you mean if you dont do it?

Well..isn't there a button on the blender that says ice crush?

Well i think it does on most of them.......

You out the ice first.......then the fruits///or whatever

I make strawberry smoothies/slushies uring the summer

I wash the strawberries...then i put them in the freezer

The strawberry will get hard and then i put in the blender.....

Smae thing ;)

• Bub

Yes,we do it all the time, just dump the ice cubes in and churn away. It won't make it as smooth as a smoothie, but pretty close.

No it is just fine. If you don't blend the ice then your will have a blended liquid poured over ice.

You can pour oit over crushed ice, but crushed ice is just ice cubes that have been blended.

• Laura

At 6 months you should stick with fruits and veggies for awhile. I make my sons food all the time and yes you can blend/mash it. You can give him carrot, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas, broccoli, apples, pears, banana, avocado. You can combine flavors like carrot and potato or apples and pears. I suggest buying a book on making your own baby food, i love mine.

• Boss

nah my mom makes smoothies and put ice it doesnt get ruined just dont put big chunks of ice

i will cut it, but without liquies, dulls the blade and and burns motor faster. Pulse it rather than just leave it on blend setting