Maths Core 1....what is integration?

So my AS-level maths C1 exam is tomorrow and i've seen that 'integration' is in the syllabus....but i'm not sure what it is :S

Can anyone tell me?

I might have covered it but the actual mathematical name doesn't ring a bell

Thanks for any help :)

Hmm I'm a bit worried because we haven't done anything on integration yet it says on various websites that its in the spec :S ....thanks 4 the help and i hope it doesn't come in my exam :P

Best Answer

It's the opposite of taking the derivitive (which represents the slope of a curve).

Graphically it represents the area between the curve and what you are taking the integration of. So integrating against dx, is the area between the curve and the x-axis

im sitting the exam tomorrow too,

integration almost always turns up.

its opposite of differentiation, so with intergration you add a power and then devide by it. you will be asked to do this and then probably be expected to work out the limits (the 2 little numbers on the intergration sign) so use them individually as a value of x in the formula you just intergrated.

the only chance of it not popping up tomorrow is if they ask us to use the trapezium rule to work out the area under a graph... and thats pretty easy to do (just look in your C1/C2 text book). Won't be too complicated as its only C1.

Good Luck!

Lol, integration is one of those things you cannot forget. Believe me, it takes a full semester in high school alone just to cover the most basic integrals. It is mostly in the realm of Calculus II and above.

• Integration is the act of finding integrals. Check out the following link. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

Integration is higher level calculus. If you don't recognize the word, there is no way to explain it to you.

integral of (1+x)/x^2 = Ln x -(1/x) + C (Between 1 and 3) ( Ln3 -(1/3) +C) - (Ln1-(1/1)+C) ===> But We Know Ln1=0 Ln3-(1/3)+(1/1) = Ln3 +(2/3)

• cidyah

If you are not sure of what it is and if your exam is tomorrow, you can safely ignore it at least until tomorrow.

it is a part of calculus it is the name for taking the antiderivative of a function