who is the greatest rapper ever?

the best rapper dead or alive

my guess would be atmosphere or slug from atmosphere

Favorite Answer

Rakim....still relevant to today

Rakim pioneered a practice previously unknown to hip-hop called internal rhyming. Prior to Rakim, hip-hop music lyricism was usually rather simple from a structural standpoint and the ideas it expressed were easy and direct. Instead of two rhyming syllables within two lines at the end of the lines, as we would find in the older hip-hop style displayed above, we have 18 rhyming syllables in just four lines. Rakim also popularized the use of metaphors with multiple meanings. His songs were the first to really impart hip-hop music lyrics with a serious poetic device sensibility.

Many hip-hop artists (both underground and mainstream) acknowledge a huge debt to Rakim's innovative style. He is given credit for popularizing the heavy use of internal rhymes in hip-hop—rhymes that are not necessary to the overall rhyme scheme of the verse, but occur between the endpoints of lines and stanzas, serving to increase the alliteration, assonance, and emphasis of the rhyme. He is also credited for the jazzy, heavily stylistic, seemingly effortless delivery of his lyrical content

a host of rapper have acknowledge Rakim in a host of song/tributes Including Tupac:

Tupac Shakur also pays homage to Rakim in a song called "Old School."

Raekwon of Wu-Tang Clan also dedicated a tribute to Rakim titled "Rakim Tribute," which was released on DaVinci Code: The Vatican Mixtape Vol. II in 2006.

50 Cent also makes a reference to Rakim on his hugely successful collaborative effort "Hate It or Love It" with The Game. Fifty rhymes, "Daddy ain't around, probably out committing felonies/my favorite rapper used to sing Ch-Check out my melody," referencing Eric B. & Rakim's classic hit ¨My Melody."

Saul Williams mentions Rakim in the song Twice The First Time, stating "not until you've listened to Rakim on a rocky mountain top have you heard hip hop" and also in the song Penny For A Thought where he says "Someone like Rakim said - 'I could quote any MC, but why should I? how would it benefit me?'"

Kurupt references Rakim on Snoop Dogg's debut album, Doggystyle. On "For All My ****** and Bitches," Kurupt says, "Who's jokin'? Rakim never joked, so why should I loc? now that's my idol...."

Ghostface Killah gave props to Rakim in the end of "Paisely Darts," by saying that he is better than every artist except for Rakim, referring to him as "the older god".

Eminem has also paid tribute to Rakim's style as an inspiration and references lines from "My Melody"" in his song “I'm Back”.

Jay-Z paid tribute to Rakim in his 2007 hit “Blue Magic,” where he states: "Eighty-seven state of mind that I'm in/I'm in my prime so for that time I'm Rakim."

Killah Priest references Rakim in many of his songs. He states: "I remind you of Rakim but I'm not him".

British rapper Scroobius Pip mentions Rakim in his song "Fixed" from the album Angles, as an example of hiphop as art, in the lines "Take it back to the start/Like KRS and Rakim use passion and heart".

RZA on the last track of his album Digi Snacks,"who could master the rhythm to which rakim got".

Nas' Street Disciple album (Disc 2 Track 3) has a track titled U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography of Rakim) where he tells a short version of Rakim's musical career and life.

The Game directly refers to Rakim in the first line of the third verse of "Da ****" by saying, "I'm the West Coast Rakim, got ****** blocked in."

Strange Fruit Project describes Rakim as an influential figure and inspiration to them in their song "Hip Hop."

Big L was great. I like him better than Tupac and Biggie. He definitely deserves to be in the top 3, maybe not number 1, but then again I think Tupac and Biggie should be below Big L. Too many mainstream rappers are in "my top rappers" lists, not enough underground rappers, like Charizma. No one mentions him, but I think he was a lot better than most rappers during his time. RIP Big L and Charizma.

Somewhere. Between 2pac nas or biggie. Rakim and Jayz were good too. These were all old school though. Modern day rappers that are good are eminem, 50. Cent Kendrick Lamar, maybe 2 chainz too. Well, that's all I can say probably.

Nas....

Complete body of an MC.

Album considered the greatest by the critics = Illmatic

Best battle rap of all-time - ETHER

Best Story teller - REWIND

Not the best punchline guy... but he has classic ones

".. so pro black. I dont pick cotton out da asprin bottle"

Can hit u off wit an intellectual joint & then hit you off wit a street joint... while maintianing credibility as an artist.

Tupac

Nas, Tupac, Lil Wayne

Source(s): my favorite Juelz Santana

Eminem, 50 cent, Akon

Prodigy from Mobb Deep... He's untouchable.

1. Nas-Illmatic, It Was Written, and Stillmatic are some of the best in history...His flow and lyricism is the best

2. 2Pac-All Eyez on Me, Don Killuminati, Me against the World are classics!...So influential...

3. Eminem-All 8 of his studio albums are dope, but SSLP, MMLP, and TES are classics...His lyricism is ridiculous

4. Biggie

5. Jay-Z

6. Rakim

7. Andre 3000

8. Dr Dre

Nas. Illmatic says it all.