How to formally refer to German women.?

Can I abbreviate Frau to Fr. when writing to a German woman? I don't know if shes maried or not - is there a better term to use?

Thanks

• Lila
    Favorite Answer

As several others have already said, Frau refers to married as well as unmarried women.

There is no abbreviation for "Frau" neither for "Herr" (Mr.).

Source(s): I'm German

You should know that nowadays "Fräulein" (Miss) is not used any more, not even for unmarried women! It would be offensive to write that, unless you were an old person, or perhaps in an informal letter for fun.

You're right, in writing you can abbreviate Frau to Fr. (and Herr or Herrn to Hr.) but it depends *where* you want to do this. If you are writing a formal letter, you start with your address, and then, a few lines below, you put the woman's, so you begin with "Frau Xy" - it's just not necessary to abbreviate! After the subject you begin with "Sehr geehrte Frau Xy,".

So in a formal letter you don't have to write "Fr.", but it's allowed to use it in other contexts, for example on lists or sth., you just use "Fr." and "Hr."!

Source(s): German Native
  • RAZNA

According to my most up-to-date German dictionary (Langenscheidt's 1995), "Frau" is now used for Mrs. AND Ms. The latter one, in case you're not familiar with it, is the preferred English abbreviation for a woman whose marital status you don't know or don't want to indicate. You certainly would NOT want to use "Fraulein" (with the umlaut that my computer won't let me put in -- if I try it'll throw this into a weird file that I can't access again) -- that would insult her if she is married. So go with Frau or the abbreviation for it.

Source(s): Teacher of English to speakers of other languages and that aforementioned dictionary; linguistics degree

dont abbreviate just write Frau..

just use Frau, b/c Frau refers to any woman (married or unmarried).

use frau, it shows more respect than just abbreviating it