Why do women think men are suppose to be mind readers?

My girlfriend posted this question today and from the responses not many other women agreed with her. This was the text of her question. "Who else lives with a man that acts like you dont exist? I have been home sick for two days now and I am literally taking care of myself. He hasn't offered to buy... show more My girlfriend posted this question today and from the responses not many other women agreed with her.

This was the text of her question.

"Who else lives with a man that acts like you dont exist? I have been home sick for two days now and I am literally taking care of myself. He hasn't offered to buy me soup, ask me if I'm ok....nothing. Does anyone else have this problem? He says he cares but I just don't believe that. It's like he is too caught up in his own agenda to worry about anyone else. He's job searching but he could at least ask if I'm ok. Im coughing, having chills, took myself to the doctor. Not that I wanted him to take me to the doctor but when I walk in from the doctor's, he doesn't look at me. I didn't go to work today so of course he knows I'm not going. I am out until Monday and I feel like this is going to be to hellish days just being home with him. It's like he is upset that Im sick or something and should just suck it up and go to work anyway. What kind of man am I with!!??"

I've told her over and over and over again that I can't read her mind that that if there's something she wants she needs to learn to open her mouth and ask. I could understand more if we were young but we're both in out late 30's. By now she should know better. She thinks that a man should be so in tune with his woman until she shouldn't have to ask. Something should pop into his head, "I think my girl is thirsty, let me go get her something to drink." Or, "she's not feeling well, I'll fix her some soup." My mind is focused right now on trying to find a job so I'm sorry if she's not the center of my world right now. She'll probably delete this forum soon because I know her. When she posts something like this and gets a bunch of negative responses she tends to delete it. What do you guys think? Is she looking for too much in a relationship or and I just an uncaring boyfriend?

Many of those who responded were women and most of them came down on her. She thinks I'm suppose to be a mind reader then when I don't or can't her feelings are hurt.
Update: I'm sorry she has a cold but I have the same cold. I've been under the weather all week too but that hasn't stopped me from keeping the house clean, cooking dinner every night or running the kids around to where they need to be. Plus, on top of that, looking for work.