How to teach English
I have got a part time job which is to teach students to speak English,
but for now I am confused about it, I don't know how to teach them
to speak English,
they don't understand what I said, they can't
speak anything, and they forgot what I showed very soon,,and
things like that
I was wondering if anybody knows how to teach English, and let
me know how to do it
and what is the best way of teaching English?
XX I have been thinking of I am not a teacher at all
they are aged on average 26
To Astaroth Yes I do understand chinese, I teach general English
Thank you for that cheers mate
To Nancy you must be an experienced teacher, I can see you must be,
advice that you gave me, actually, I am not a real teacher at all just a part time
Thank you for that,, Cheers darling
To Sliverstone you must be an experienced teacher too and absolutely
1)I think, No I didn't do anything difficult but they seem confused, yes you are right, I probably speak too fast,
2) Imagining to talk to a child, good idea, yes I sometimes speak slowly,
and sometimes faster I didnt notice it
3) I couldn't believe it, they forgot what I just gave straight away
4) they even don't understand when I say like " how was your day so far"
" how are you doing", " what have you been doing", you mustn't believe it
they used to go to college.
5) yes I can speak mandarin chinese but not so fluently,
6) It would be my turn stuck for teaching them in chinese, I dont like it,
English is absolutely different from Chinese.
Thank you for your useful suggestions, Cheers mate
To Sliverstone where is what you posted?, it went missing?
- NancyLv 41 decade agoFavorite Answer
Without knowing enough background information, I will make some basic suggestions:
1. Use body language.
2. Set up a ritual every day (such as greeting everybody, go over the date of the month, etc.)
2. Use lots real things and pictures for teaching aids.
3. Go on line to find ideas posted by teathers who teach English as second language.
4. Repeat, review, and revisit what ever you have taught, every hour, every day, and every week.
5. Do not give up! Good luck!
2009-01-09 05:51:54 補充：
Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm not as a pro as you think. I like teaching, and like to share experiences with other people.
RenRen's ideas are great. Teaching language should start with every day things. It will be easy and fun.
- RenRenLv 71 decade ago
I think you may chat with them begin with sometime they're good at...
Wong, Chih-Ming.... Music Singers.... some TV program... bring them to some where outfield... teach them what is those thing in English... even supermarket will do it : egg plant... tooth brush .. anything begin with vocabulary
- LewisLv 41 decade ago
I deleted my answer because i feel that Nancy is the pro here and teaching is not my forte anyway. I did some impromtu teaching ages ago but it is not even worth mentioning.
- 1 decade ago
don't give up.
Do you understand Chinese?
and What kind of English do you teach?
for business or use in live...etc.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
how old are the students?