Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

An epic adventure story?

I'm looking for a really good adventure book. It can be a classic, or maybe something more modern; I don't care. As long as it's good then fine by me. Recommendations please!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here's some good classic adventures.

King Solomon's Mines by Rider Haggard

Amazon.com summary: The story begins when renowned safari hunter Allan Quartermain agrees to help Sir Henry Curtis and Captain John Good search for King Solomon’s legendary cache of diamonds. Eager to find out what is true, what is myth, and what is really buried in the darkness of the mines, the tireless adventurers delve into the Sahara’s treacherous Veil of Sand, where they stumble upon a mysterious lost tribe of African warriors. Finding themselves in deadly peril from that country’s cruel king and the evil sorceress who conspires behind his throne, the explorers escape, but what they seek could be the most savage trap of all—the forbidden, impenetrable, and spectacular King Solomon’s Mines.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Amazon.com description: The most popular pirate story ever written in English, featuring one of literature’s most beloved “bad guys,” Treasure Island has been happily devoured by several generations of boys—and girls—and grownups. Its unforgettable characters include: young Jim Hawkins, who finds himself owner of a map to Treasure Island, where the fabled pirate booty is buried; honest Captain Smollett, heroic Dr. Livesey, and the good-hearted but obtuse Squire Trelawney, who help Jim on his quest for the treasure; the frightening Blind Pew, double-dealing Israel Hands, and seemingly mad Ben Gunn, buccaneers of varying shades of menace; and, of course, garrulous, affable, ambiguous Long John Silver, who is one moment a friendly, laughing, one-legged sea-cook . . .and the next a dangerous pirate leader!

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

Amazon.com summary: "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie

Amazon.com Summary: Join Wendy, John, and Michael Darling as they follow Peter Pan, the boy who never grows up, to a world where fairies live and children can fly. But beware -- danger abounds in this magical land of mermaids, Indians, and fairy dust. Captain Hook and his pirate crew want all children to walk the plank, especially Peter Pan.

There is always an adventure to be had in Neverland. So come along with the Darling children as they soar into the night sky -- second to the right and straight on till morning!

• 4 years ago

I think your teacher isn't going to give you ideas because that's part of your homework. Obviously you need some help, so I'm going to give you some. I won't tell you what are examples of what, and I won't end the story. You will need to check wikipedia for examples of your requirements and work them out. I recommend you do, in case your teacher asks you to identify them. Poem: Sharpened claws and fiery breath, Gleaming scales and fearsome teeth. The dragon dwells beneath the mount, Where liquid fire bubble and seethe. Ancient malice who rules the skies, Scorching the land with ruthless fire. A foe whose might has not a match, Not one dares to face her ire. A farm boy lived there in the vale, Swift as deer and tough as hide. "I will deliver the dragon's head." He declared with the greatest pride. He took with him a smallish sack, And put in it a brilliant blue bell. Tinkling and jingling he went his way, Alone to enter the dragon's hell. Into a sea of leaves he strode, His feet striking up a happy gait. Humming a tune, his spirits good, He travelled until the day was late. The night forest woke to work, Bang! Crash! Scuttle and song. Snores rose to join the noise, A tired farm boy amongst the throng. Morning came and sparrows called, The boy awoke and yawned aloud. Today he would reach her cave, Then he would do his village proud. - You are going to have to bring it to an end - He has a magical bell, it is blue and sparkly. He's about to face off against a dragon, having just travelled through a dark forest to get to the mountain (she lives in the bowels of the mountain, near the lava). It's a very easy format, almost freeform, every second line in each stanza rhymes.

• harry potter is the way to go

you can read it a gazillion times and still you would feel the same excitement and adrenaline as if you read it the first time.

if thats not for you then try eragon. thats a good book the movie is a tad off so if you like that stuff hope it helps you !!

• 1 decade ago

Canned by Alex Shearer is advenrurey or wateva

The Host by Stephanie Meyer is amazing pick it up if ur in for an adventure with aliens romance and adventure all in one!:] tehe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Maximum Ride Series (but seriously, you can pretty much skip the fourth book, it is really not that good).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The chronicles of Narnia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

EraGon

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

-Twilight series

-Deltora quest series

-Harry Potter series

Even though these are series not single books. :S

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.