Since cows are vegetarians, can not human vegetarians safely eat beef and still be considered a vegetarian?

Kind of makes sense to me, but I am not sure so I thought i would put it to the good people of Yahoo Answers so I can get the right info. Just so you know, this is a real question and I thought I knew the answer to this before a buddy spoke to me, now my head is twisted up in these thoughts so I am unsure of... show more Kind of makes sense to me, but I am not sure so I thought i would put it to the good people of Yahoo Answers so I can get the right info.

Just so you know, this is a real question and I thought I knew the answer to this before a buddy spoke to me, now my head is twisted up in these thoughts so I am unsure of what is right or not.

Help please
Update: Great answers guys, you cleared up my confusion over what is a vegetarian. I guess someone was trying to give me a bum steer