Illinois law- it's illegal to speak English- you must speak American?

I've found this fact "According to Illinois state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is 'American'." on the internet and it seems to be true, but I can't find the actual law in Illinois legislature. Does anyone know where I can find it, or even if this is true?

Favorite Answer

But language can’t be legislated very well, either in the Slovak Republic or in the United States. In 1923 the state of Illinois made American, not English, its official language. The move was a protest against the British, who had dragged their feet over independence for Ireland. But the Brits ignored the Illinois law even more successfully than they had ignored the Irish. Illinois residents ignored the law as well. They continued to speak English, not American, and to study English in schools that were required by law to use American as the language of instruction. In 1923 the State of Illinois made "American" its official language (in 1969 the law was quietly amended to make English the official tongue). The state language was symbolic, like the state bird or flower. The Illinois official language law, like Judge Kiser's decree, caused no one to speak English or abandon another language. Judge Olszewski’s sentence probably won’t do much to prevent recidivism, either.

Illegal immigration causes many problems that's for sure. That is an indisputable fact. Given your estimate of 20 million illegals let's proceed from there. Let's say even 1/3 of them are holding jobs. That's almost 7 million people in the workforce. Contributing to the tax base etc. That would leave 7 million job vacancies. Would our nation be able to handle that many leaving the workforce? Probably not. Would Americans step into these jobs for the pay offered? Probably not. Companies bottom line is profit. Would they raise wages to get Americans to work these jobs? Probably not. More companies would begin to outsource. Thus leaving many Americans out of jobs that now hold jobs. Our entire country would collapse and the Great Depression would look like a cakewalk. As I've said illegal immigration is wrong and needs to stop. But we also need to be realistic on deporting as you say 20 million people. Believe me...It's not going to happen for various reasons. So we must move forward and think of realistic ways to deal with the situation at hand and also insure the illegal situation is stemmed in the future. Better border security and visa systems need to be taken care of first and foremost so the situation doesn't progressively get worse. Once the flow is stopped we can then work on what to do with those already here.

• maher

Official Language Of Illinois

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've found this fact "According to Illinois state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is 'American'." on the internet and it seems to be true, but I can't find the actual law in Illinois legislature. Does anyone know where I can find it,...

Source(s): illinois law 39 illegal speak english speak american: https://biturl.im/gprui

Although I sometimes use the expression "the English-speaking world and America", I have to admit that much of what we call American is very similar to 500-year-old English. The language has changed in both places of course but in some respects the Americans are the guardians of our original language.

In the UK we also have people claiming to know about silly laws. Some are true but most are untrue, which seems to be the case in the example quoted.

Not sure so Im not helpful. I have heard some people say that people from the U.S. do not speak proper English so maybe it is American English we speak.

It seems very weird to me, although I've seen a few weird or stupid laws in some states. It could be true, but I highly doubt it.

• it's nonsense american isn't a language, the language is called english

• Chris B4 years agoReport

Unless English refers to the misuse of certain words as is often done in England (e.g. pants for underwear and boot for trunk and such). I like to say that, while England may have invented the English language, they re still on the beta version.

go to dumb state laws.com

There are alot of stupid laws.. like I think in NY State its illegal to park and elephant at a meter without putting in a quarter

Source(s): LuvThosePurpleShoes

If it is going to be anywhere it'll be on their legislative branches website here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs.asp

I'll look and see if i can find it.