todd j asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to have a stable long term relationship with a woman who is bipolar?

Ive dated her for more than 6 mos. It's been a bit rocky, with lots of mood swings and erratic behavior. She is seeing a new psych today and it has me wondering, if medication changes etc. can help stabilize her behavior or not. Anyone with any experience or advice?

• J G
    Favorite Answer

It depends first off on her stability, and efforts to stay stable. If she can get mostly stable and is on top of treating her disorder, then there is good chance of it being possible. If she does not stay on top of things, just quits taking meds, or just really can not reach a mostly stable state, then chances are less likely. Medication and thereapy can stable things out....i have finally reached a mostly stable state. But thing is, things do change, meds or med doses quit being effective and need changed and such, so does require knowing the disorder well and accepting it and controling it and not allow it to control you.

Then, even with her being mostly stable, there will be rocky times. Takes a lot of understanding on the significant other, but also knowing when to set up boundries, and not enable unhealthy behavior. Also reading and finding out as much about the illness as you can so you can know the difference. Also, therapy is very important for the significant other of someone with bp.....both on their own, and sometimes couples councling.

But short answer...yes it is possible. However it does take extra work on both ends, espesially if she has more instability and episodes. One sad statistic though is 90% of marrages that one person has bipolar end in divorse....however 10% do survive it.

• Angel

After dating a bi-polar male for many years and going through times when he would or would not take his medications properly, it is like going through the highest highs and the lowest lows.

If this person seeks treatment, she can possibly be stabilized but there will always be problems. This is just a tormenting disease for not only the person who has it but also for the person who falls in love with them.

I have a female friend that has bi-polar also and I can see the degrees it can go to and from. She has remained on meds and treatment the entire time and because of it is a bit more stable but she is not well. She still has many problems that nobody but her could ever solve.

My ex on the other hand didn't want to deal with his problems and could be abusive at times and if this is part of it, I would have to say; "Run for your life".

I have to say you must be an extremely strong person to live with this throughout your entire life and it is a sacrifice to do so.

Just watch for signs that she is staying on her medications and treatment plan and if she waffles on that, you may want to watch out or seek counseling for you both as this will be an ongoing issue if you stay together.

Personally, I could not be with someone that is bi-polar again after what I went through.

Hope this helps

Source(s): 41yrs Life Experience

Medication and therapy can stabilize a person but it can still be a bumpy ride. Personally, I'm as stable as I've ever been and I know I can still be a handful at times.

If you can't deal with her mood swings and it's making you miserable, you can only stick it out for so long. Even though I am bipolar and inclined to say "stick with her," I also need to say that you have a right to your own happiness and stability.

It's definitely a really good thing that she is seeking treatment. Too many people are in denial of their problems or are hesitant to see a doctor about them. It takes strength to take those steps forward and by her making that effort it demonstrates a commitment to becoming healthy.

Ask my boyfriend. :) He'll tell you it's tough sometimes but when we're happy it makes it alll worthwhile. Help her with her appointments, remind her to take her medication, just stay active in her treatment. Attend a therapy session or two with her if she's okay with it. Read ALOT about this disorder and get as many personal stories as possible, that helps.

I'm rather stable now, only maybe once a month do I have a day-long episode of some sort. Easily do-able, in my opinion. Good lcuk!

How much do you love her and how much can you put up with? I'm mid divorce from a man who has bi-polar, it's hard but I realize now I needed to be more patient. I think it takes a long time to find the right meds, which I still believe he hasn't found. I wish I could change things and learned to become more supportive. If you are seeing ANY signs of physical abuse though you need to run as fast as you can, I can tell you that those will only get worse.