What're "The Big 5" of other genres?

In just about every musical genre, there're a select few artists who are seen as the 'leaders' of them or the ones who helped forge the genres themselves. The ones who generally define the genre in a big, noticable way. The number isn't strictly 5. Sometimes it's 4 or 6! :) For prog... show more In just about every musical genre, there're a select few artists who are seen as the 'leaders' of them or the ones who helped forge the genres themselves. The ones who generally define the genre in a big, noticable way.

The number isn't strictly 5. Sometimes it's 4 or 6! :)

For prog rock's "Big 5", the consensus seems to be (depending on who you ask! lol)

Pink Floyd
Genesis
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

For thrash metal, I've seen people cite Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth & Slayer as their 'big 4'.

So who would it be for say- pop music, punk, etc....?
Update: Emotional'- I hear ya, but what can I tell you? I'm one of the biggest Rush fans I know, but that list is what I see most consistently among old school prog rock fans. I'd like to see em on more big 5 lists too, but I'm hard-pressed to say they *forged* prog rock. They took it to a louder, heavier... show more Emotional'- I hear ya, but what can I tell you? I'm one of the biggest Rush fans I know, but that list is what I see most consistently among old school prog rock fans. I'd like to see em on more big 5 lists too, but I'm hard-pressed to say they *forged* prog rock. They took it to a louder, heavier level, but those 5 pretty much made it before Rush came along.
Update 2: hedzy- yknow. You're right. If I could re-type that, ELP would replace Tull. This is probably why I also often see people stretch it to 6 to include both. :)
Update 3: Making one for pop *is* kinda tricky. ('least to me) But Jacko is definitely in there.
Update 4: Fitzwell- Where would you put bands like Slade, Sweet & T-Rex?