Video Game Violence - Help?

I'm doing a presentation, showing that violent video games are often wrongfully blamed for youth violence due to multiple issues.

I'd like to ask some discussion questions also, that could support my point. Any ideas? THANKS!

Best Answer

I play violent Video games all the time, GTA, etc

I never got the urge to go onto the streets and do the same stuff, just a game..

but also remember kids have a part in there brain that do not develop fully until around the age of 18-21 and that is realizing the consequences

I love the reply sister magic...so very true..

Source(s): I learned this from watching court T.V.

I'm a mom, and I've, for some reason, taken interest in playing a lot of the video games our son has brought into our home. I have to say without a doubt, there is NO way you can blame youth violence (or adult violence), on video game violence. It is an excuse, not a reason, for violent behavior. After playing numerous games, the LAST thing I'd want to do is go out and hurt a living person. These are games, Some people get hooked on games like...poker, all types of gambling. A video game offers socialization, especially if you're online, you can play with and against others around the world. Sorry, I just don't believe there's a link. My sons friends have all turned out to be great kids, and I am grateful I had a chance to experience the video game world, it was completely entertaining!

Source(s): life

My youngest son actually used that same theme as a report/presentation for one of his classes while in high school. He actually did make up a questionnaire such as Michael C. suggested. He also did a lot of research on the web too. Try typing Video Games and Violence into different search browsers and you may find quite a bit of information regarding other studies.

Personally, I feel that the only time video games play a part in encouraging violence is in a person who is already prone to violence and is mentally imbalanced, but that's just my own personal opinion and others may not agree.

Questions to ask. hmmm, possibly ask people if:

1. Do they play violent video games?

2. Do they ever fantasize about acting out anything in the game?

3. If so, do they ever feel that anything/any circumstances would ever actually make them decide to literally try to re-create those scenes?

Or,

4. Do they feel as if their tensions/anger eases after playing a violent video game? If so, do they think this helps them to cope better with negative things which may be going on in their life?

Sorry I can't really think of any more questions. My son is sleeping right now, so I can't ask him for suggestions. Good luck and I hope you do very well on your presentation.

I've been playing video games since the NES was first released.

My little brother has been playing video games, including very violent ones.

Most kids who perform this malicious acts where video games get blamed are too young to understand consequences.

Or they are hormonal and feel like death is the only way out.

If you have ever watched any documentaries on the kids who did the school shootings a few years back, they are adults now and the ones who survived all say "it was a stupid thing to do and I regret it"

Because they were CHILDREN. They didn't understand.

You may want to cite crime statistics. Violent crime rates have actually been going down in general (and have been especially since the release of Grand Theft Auto), not up as those who blame games would like people to think. There's a website somewhere with specific graphs, try to find that.

Just say that parents are not aware that violent games doesn't really show when if didn't play it enough. for example, violent levels/scenes in games in often increase as u continue with the games.

State examples? like the well known for youth violence such as GTA.

The lack of parental care program in games such as to cover up blood detachable limb scenes.

I agree that you cannot blame video games for violent acts that kids preform. But it doesnt help the situation. It exposes kids to violent images at a young impressionable age. This isnt good for anyone.

Shane, perhaps you could draw up a questionnaire and hand them out at your school? Teachers are always impressed by primary research.

cops and soldiers scare me much more than nerds playing warcraft