Why am i waking up in the night gasping for air?

Its very scary and its happened more than once, ive woken up in the middle of the night and i cant breathe. I start coughing and its like the saliva is choking me so i try to breathe through my nose. Its terrifying, and i dont know what it is. But its not only when i sleep, sometimes if im just laying down. Also at times whenever i just move my kneck i start coughing. Im really scared.

Favorite Answer

sounds like sleep apnea. Its a condition where u stop breathing during certian sleep patterns. Dont stress out too much it can be treated by sleeping with an air mask or other ways but do go see a doc

Source(s): im a medical assistant and my dad has sleep apnea

Sounds like you got sick in your sleep. Maybe it was only a little bit and it just stayed in your throat so you couldn't breath causing you to gasp after a bit. Try sleeping on your side if you are worried it will happen again and if it does occur again get checked out by a doctor because it could be a sign of something serious like sleep apnea.

As the previous answers all agree sleep apnoea seems the likeliest cause. this condition is very often associated with people who are overweight. If this applies to you then getting a little weight off will help you. Apart from this the only other remedy is wearing a positive pressure mask.

I have Sleep Apnea. You need to have your Doctor order a sleep study for you.

Go to your doc to get a sleep study done. it sounds like sleep apnea which needs treatment.