Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Road Biking to Mountain Biking?

I bought a road bike last year, and I liked it, but I'm very limited to where I can ride. Now I'm looking into mountain biking. I love being in the woods or somewhere more secluded than the road. I also think I would like the rougher terrain better. If I buy a mountain bike, I will probably need to sell my road bike.

So two questions:

1. do you prefer road or mountain biking?

2. what kind of bike would your recommend?...my limit is $1000 for a complete bike.

Best Answer

While I too am a 2 bike person, you can get by with 1 mountain bike with 2 sets of wheels. Get one set of wheels with knobs and one with slick treads. I did this for many years without any trouble.

A mountain bike is more versatile. It is capable of taking more abuse. Then again it takes more maintenance too.

Source(s): 27 years of riding mountain bikes

1. I am a former road and track racer who has in recent years taken up cross country mountain biking. These days I prefer mountain biking to riding on the road for a few reasons:

a. Even though you may more often have minor falls when mountain biking (due to the more technical terrain etc), at least you are not likely to be hit by a car, bus or truck - which can of course result in much more severe injuries.

b. Generally speaking, mountain biking can take you to more scenic places.

However, I have noticed two slight disadvantages of mountain biking:

a. You seem to be very much affected by a lack of fitness - I really feel it if I am climbing up a steep uphill on my mountain bike.

b. In the past couple of years my mountain bike has needed more frequent maintenance than my road bikes ever did. The chain and rear cluster seem to wear out a lot quicker than it does on a road bike.

2. Basically, the more you pay, the better your bike will be. So how much you spend should be determined by your own financial situation. At the very least, I would suggest getting a bike with all alloy components. Rear suspension can be good, but remember that it will add weight to your bike and that you will generally have to spend a lot more money to get a "dual suspension" bike that is as light as a "hard-tail".

I need to say that one of the biggest mistakes a beginner bike-buyer makes is buying a mountain bike to ride on the road. Many of my friends have decided they need a nice bike to ride around town, commute to/from work, etc. and walk into a bike store and come out with a bad a$$ mountain bike. No! Mountain bikes are for MOUNTAINS, trails, dirt paths, and general off-road use in the forest. Road bikes (or hybrids) are for the ROAD. Of course you can still ride a mountain bike on the road, but you'll only hurting yourself here. I have to admit, when I first started riding bikes again as an adult, I bought cheap mountain bikes from a department store. I finally invested in a true road bike and it was the best decision I've ever made. What a world of difference! Riding miles around town on a mountain bike takes a lot of effort because they have big, heavy, knobby tires ideal for off-road use. Road bikes are light and efficient. Riding miles is truly effortless. A lot of people want a more comfortable bike with a more upright riding position though, so they purchase a hybrid. Honestly though, I commute everywhere on my road bike and have never had any issues with comfort. It's all about getting a good saddle.

Just like Bob A, I too am both a roadie and a MTB'r and Mountain is my passion more than the road bike. I would rather be among the trees on a path than a speed bump for a disgruntled driver...

At the $1000 price range you are begining to get into the lower end of the upper tier of full suspension mountain bikes and you dont say hard tail or soft. As far as hard tail, you are looking primarily for a good component group at this price point. In my opnion just about any brand will suit you fine....Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, and Giant should do you just fine.

Source(s): BTW any of you serious riders notice I didnt push any Performance bikes this time??....Ill probably catch on fire soon! Performance bike sales associate in VA

If you do mountain biking your going to become a jumping idiot you'll go very slow-when you are a cyclist you hate going slow.You'll sometimes will have to push the really heavy bike up a hill! If you want the road bike no more I could suggest a Cyclocross-it combines your needs ;)

Get a mountain bike, with cross-country(XC) race tires. You can ride on both dirt and the road- without everr swapping rims/tires. Get a bike with front suspension only, for climbing power on hilly areas. The XC race tires will give you maximum speed, on pavement too. I recommend the 2009 Cannondale F6 disc....which run well uder $1000. Your local bike shop(LBS) will help you fit one, to your height/weight. They will also help you select the right tires too.

well i use a mountain bike for on road and off road purposes. you get around easily and im only 14 so i like to go off road more so i like mountian biking alot more. my dad bought a giant bike with alloy frame, great suspemsion, good tires and all this other cool stuff i forget for $1000 but he got it half price!

I have both and would not give either one up. Some days I like to just jump on my road bike and go down the road and other days I haul my comfort/pathway bike to the local rail-trails and ride thru the wilderness. You could get something like a hybrid or pathway bike to do both.

MOUNTAIN BIKING!!! ha ... i say do what i did, buy a really cheap MTB just to make sure you like it and if you do thrash the hell out of that MTB and when that bike is done im sure you will have enough to upgrade to a XC MTB(im not a fan of XC MTB so you gotta find out what kind by someone else)

I prefer mtb because it can be used on and off road, yes, not that fast on the road but can be, unlike roadie that is limited to road only, but if you have the budget, own both of them.