Is it illegal to drive through Ohio with Pit Bulls?

I'm driving to Indianapolis this month, and I'd like to take my 2 pit bulls with me. But, I can't find anywhere online whether someone passing through Ohio is subject to their RIDICULOUS "dangerous" dog laws.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I would think that as long as the dogs are kept in the car that it wouldnt be a problem.

people own pits in Ohio.. last time I looked, the laws to owning one state that you must have something like a secure 6ft fence and a min amount of insurance on each pit.. (I forget if its 50,000 or 100,000 offhand). They are outlawed in some cities and counties tho.. However you are not a resident, just passing thru.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Call the Ohio State Highway Patrol to get the correct information. I live in Ohio and never heard of a law that says you can't drive through the state with a pit bull. Just make sure you have them leashed if you stop anywhere and keep them away from people in case someone panics!!

Source(s): Pit bull grandma
  • 1 decade ago

Not it would only be illegal to own a pit bull if you lived in certain areas of ohio. Passing through with your dogs is fine.

• Kate C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I do know during the dogtown trip from I believe Virgina to Utah they went through a BSL area and a resident told them they better watch out, that the dogs were not allowed there.

When you go, stop minimal times in the state. Call the state and ask is what I would do.

Source(s): I am owned by a pit mix, but she hates the car so she just stays inside.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jesse
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You can check with AAA. I do not believe it is illegal to travel through a state with your dogs but you never know. Make some phones calls to save yourself a lot of grief.

• chute
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it relies upon on the character of the ban, if the section bans possession of such animals, then the ban extends purely to citizens, and as long as YOUR animals is by no skill considered, or stored on a leash in magnificent special "canine walk" aspects, you're able to have no difficulty. yet whilst the ban concerns showing such an animal (like, taking it for a walk) then you would be in difficulty in case you end to allow the canine relieve itself. after all, you're able to no longer difficulty except you end your vehicle and permit the canine out of the vehicle, leashed or no longer. save shifting, and there is not any difficulty. yet be careful! Watch your velocity and the subject of your kit! in case you have been to get stopped for a bad tailight, and the canine controlled to bite the cop . . . .

• tina
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

i bet not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.