Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How come people who believe in scientology are considered insane?

they sound just as insane as every other religion i know of (and i know of quite a few..)

although there is more evidence to support aliens than a god..

Favorite Answer

Actually autism is considered a mental disorder. It is listed in my DSM4 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) as a pervasive developmental disorder.

It is characterized by antisocial behavior, poor communication skills, repetitive behavior are just a few examples. Mental disorders are often physiological in nature. Autism is still not well understood.

I remember a child I had years ago in school that had been misdiagnosed for years. I recognized the signs as being Asperger's Syndrome. He finally got the help he needed.

Scientology is pretty far out there. Anyone who denies their children the benefit of modern medicine is borderline insane and definitely negligent if anything happens to them. Child endangerment charges should be pressed in some cases. I don't know the specifics but Travolta's recent tragedy seems a bit suspicious. I'm sorry it happened of course and know that John would never knowingly hurt his child but if he (Jett) could have benefited from modern health care.....maybe he'd still be here?

Psychology has come a long way since it's start. It is more science now than guesswork. Most of what we study now is biology and chemistry. There is a lot more to psych than talking about your problems.

Source(s): MS in psychology @UT

I don't think that they're all insane, simply misguided. However, for the cult as a whole, the words deceptive, greedy, controlling, and downright evil would be more accurate. For you see, it isn't just a system of irrational beliefs, but is in fact a highly dangerous pseudo-religion. Unlike many cults though that are founded on religious zeal, Scientology was built to make L. Ron Hubbard more and more money.

Do not think that Scientology has earned a negative reputation just because it is new, it has rightfully earned any and all negative press Google Lisa McPherson and Paulette Cooper. Read testimonies from former members on exscientologykids.com. Then you will realize why it is so disliked.

The Cults crimes cannot go unpunished, and only when the public at large is educated about it's past crimes, and the public outcry becomes to great will justice prevail.

Some people are amazed when I tell them I'm a Scientologist. I remember one time in an open plan office when about a dozen of my new colleagues were talking about movies and the conversation went from how bad Battlefield Earth was on to what a nut L. Ron Hubbard was for dreamin up Scientology. I piped up and agreed the movie was awful but Ron Hubbard certainly wasn't crazy and that Scientology was so good that I had gotten trained and ordained had been delivering the Sunday Service at my local Church for many years. YOu could have heard a pin drop 50 metres away.

Some of those people started asking me about Scientology. But not a one said I was insane.

They're not really considered "insane". Most of them probably aren't.

Look at it like this: we can only judge people's sanity by what they say and do. For example:

CCHR (a scientology front used to attack psychiatry) claim that psychiatry was responsible for the holocaust and the second world war.

Look at the Tom Cruise video that scientology so wanted to have taken off youtube.

Look at how they reacted to the BBC investigating them for panorama.

Doesn't this behaviour seem odd to you? It ignores evidence (not just conventional wisdom) in the first case. It's messianic in the second (scientologists are the only people who can *really* help car crash victims). It's paranoid in the third (including claiming the BBC was behind a demonstration in London).

It's not enough to say every last one of them is insane, but doesn't it make you think that there is something *wrong* in scientology?

I don't think people who believe in scientology are considered insane. I think those who follow scientology are brain washed into believing in a cult invented by an insane son of abitch.

And it isn't even what they believe in that most people or critics have argument with. It's the fact that scientology is a destructive, dangerous cult which hurts and in many cases kills its followers and those who speak out against it.

Scientology is not a religion. Hubbard transformed it into one to avoid paying taxes and to hide behind the laws that are protected within a religion. Hubbard himself, before he realized the advantages, wrote that scientolgoy WAS NOT a religion. So comparing it to Christianity or any other faith is a waste of time.

Scientology cares about money. That is their bottom line. Everything else surrounding it is just filler.

EDIT: STEVE S.

You are an example of what I feel about scientologists. I really pray that one day you have a chance to read ALL there is to read about your "faith" and then reconfirm your ideals. Have you truly ever visited any of the websited we list for you so you can look at both sides? Please take a look at some of this and then see how you feel.

http://www.xenu.net

http://www.xenutv.com

http://www.whyaretheydead.net

http://www.exscientologykids.com

the true bio of l. ron. hubbard

http://stopscientology.blogspot.com/2007/11/truth-...

PLEASE. JUST TAKE A LOOK. If your convictions are as strong as you say, you have nothing to be afraid of.

Trolls are the only ones that do believe that, but that's not saying much, because the IQs of these trolls are notoriously low. They come into groups like this and try to create conflict just so they can feel admired and important with no concept of consequence for their actions.

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a question that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

How can troll posts be recognised?

No Imagination - Most are frighteningly obvious; sexist comments on nurses' groups, blasphemy on religious groups .. I kid you not.

Thick or Sad - Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation. However, they frequently have an obsession with their IQ and feel the need to tell everyone. This is so frequent, that it is diagnostic! Somewhere on the web there must be an Intelligence Test for Trolls - rigged to always say "above 150"

Who is at risk?

Any newsgroup, bulletin board, forum or chatroom can attract trolls, but they don't have the brains to attack nuclear physicists, and they are drawn to the quick response where sex, religion and race are found. Politics is easy prey.

When Should You Be Concerned?

Usually, not at all, though fractured funny bones and occasional waves of nausea have been reported.

When a troll become persistent and personal, you may need to consider the possibility that it has fermented into an Internet Stalker - equally pathetic, if not more so - but sometimes requiring weedkiller.

To the poster who gave false data about autism

It's a common misconception. Autism is not considered a mental illness, but physical. Why would you treat it with mental therapy?

• Believe in an insane thing and people are going to assume that you too are insane.

But people are wrong. Many victims of the cult of Scientology aren't insane. They've been brainwashed, but they aren't insane.

Some of the members (usually the higher ranking ones) HAVE gone off the deep end, so to speak, but many lower level victims have simply been conned by one of the most dangerous cults of our time.

• punch

i do in contrast to undesirable-mouthing religions, yet thus, it is particularly my opinion that it is not a real faith. L. Ron Hubbard declared it a faith because of the fact he felt that that would desire to be the way he could make the main funds out of his business enterprise. If I understand wisely, they do have some somewhat unusual teachings on the better ranges, that would desire to probable suited be labeled as non secular. those are suggestions concerning extraterrestrial beings and unusual stuff like that. yet heavily, did L. Ron Hubbard particularly have self belief those products? I doubt it. He in simple terms extra that so he might desire to sell it as a faith, because is how he could make the main funds from human beings.

When you come right down to it, I'm not sure I know too many people at all, of any religion (or lack thereof) that wouldn't be considered insane in some way.

Were I to end up on some psychiatrist's couch, I'm sure they could stick a diagnosis of Schizoid personality disorder on me - and of course, there is my phobia about ventriloquist dummies.

The one thing I agree with Scientologists about is that psychiatry is as big a load of mule muffins as any religion.

because of their premises....it is first a religion of the rich...but, if you listen carefully and read closely you will understand that you have to forfeit a vast majority of your past, present, and future wealth to the church leaving you with just enough to survive on.

It is considered a CULT in almost every aspect of the word cult.