The Crucible - how does the play relate to the definition?

Following the definition of "a severe trial or ordeal", what is being tried in the play (besides the actual witch trials)? What is being tested in the play (aside from John and Elizabeth's relationship)? What is the crucible itself in the play?

Update:

I did in fact read the book, and i have watched the movie twice. I am trying to write a paper, and these questions are based on things i dont see for myself within the book or movie. Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kimmy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Apart from the witch trial, the ordeal is also that John must deal with his sins, and his lack of recognition of his own frailty in the way he treats his servants and his wife. John Proctor's conflicts within himself are shown to the reader as he grows increasingly frightened of the consequences of his betrayal of his wife's trust, his trust in himself, and his God. His dismissal of his physical relationship with Abigail leads to Abigail's fury and hence, the rumors grow and grow until everyone begins to believe them. This is not just a tale of a woman scorned, it is of John Proctor's denial of his sin, his failure to take a moral inventory of himself and make amends to his wife and children.

• 4 years ago

The Definition Of Crucible

• 1 decade ago

Keep in mind that the Crucible was written as an allegory to the "witch hunts" for communists in the United States in the 1950s. Google around and you'll find plenty of information.

So what's being testing is John's conscience. (He ultimately decides that it is better to die with a clean conscience than to live without one.)

The crucible is this self-contained community that is being destroyed by hysteria.

• 1 decade ago

the crucible itself is abagail's plots and schemes to get john while in the end she is the reason for his death. the cruicle is the community's lies and secrets which tear the town apart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Its the witchhunts in salem. read sparknotes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.