Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Would you be leery of this (details)?

My son is selling his laptop on craigslist, and after almost 2 days, I just received an offer for his minimum. (He's making me handle the whole thing, of course. Lol.) But the responder included Psalms 37:3-5 in her email. Would you think that someone was just trying to put you off guard with that? You know, something like "Well, here's a good Christian. She won't try anything funny." Not that I'm about to fall for any bullcrap, mind you. (The add very clearly states *cash only* in all caps.) I'm just wondering if I should go out and buy one of those markers that the stores use on paper money to make sure it's not counterfeit. I dunno, what are your thoughts?

Thanks :D

Oops. The *ad* very clearly....

Why am I always such a dunce?

{{{AEC}}} Hi, babe!

(((Crazy Pirate)))

• Acorn
    Favorite Answer

That's sensible thinking. She might be legit, but if not, she wouldn't be the 1st person who ever used the Bible or God's name to cheat people.

Some people have a signature that they include at the end of every email. Maybe that's just part of the responder's sig. It's understandable that you would be so cautious, but I don't think that the Bible verse is really a cause for concern. If you think you might have a need for the marker later then it won't hurt to get one. You can also examine real bills that you already have so you can more easily notice the markings. Look for water marks and the embedded strip on the side. If you sell something again, maybe you can use a service like PayPal instead.

Nah, I'd say she's just got a thing for including scripture as a means to converting people. It's really taught to a lot of right-wing religious groups to do that to get more to the flock.

Always be careful though... no matter what is written, or said, could always go one way or another. And if worse comes to worst a good stomping should put away all that noise.

• Serena

I think this person might be giving you a nice comforting scripture. It's really hard to say since you didn't include the whole email. A smart business person always sticks to their own rules though. Do what they do in retail with the pens, or ask for identification so if money is fake, you know who to send the authorities to.

My bf got paid a 100 bill for babysitting about 7 years ago. The money was fake but he didn't know it. The girl that paid him denied the payment was from her. He was stuck with a class 3 felony. He has trouble looking for work since they consider that a forgery. Be careful. He knew her very well until that happened. It wasn't given to him by a passing stranger.

YES I WOULD BE LEERY!!You dont need a marker to verify authenticity of USA's Money. Look for the water marks and the strip inserted into the bill itself. Hold them up to the light and you can see these. the fact that they included a scripture would make me VERY SCEPTICLE! People that exploit religion are scumbags!!

I have never heard of someone posing as a Christian buying used articles with counterfeit bills.

Easier to pass them at a dark nightclub. Buy a drink, pocket the real cash.

Could be someone trying to put you off guard, or it might actually just be a christian.

Since it's a cash only deal, you won't get ripped off easily, so no worries. Can you check her profile and past activities, any feedback left about her there on ebay?

You don't need to buy counterfeit pens, you can just hold the bills up to the light and see the watermark in the bill. It will be a faint picture of whoever is on the bill (so 100's would be Franklin) that is only visible when held up to the light.

Source(s): I work in a bank.
  • elyon

I say trust in what information you have until you know otherwise. Sure they may be crooked, but then so might your banker! We can only go on what we know by direct knowledge/experience/instinct, but in the end I would think you will have to deal with a stranger in the end. If they respond with a message that makes clear their belief that God is a myth and they are not one of those "Jesus freaks" (that's me) would you trust them any more?

I am particularly suspicious of people who speak of and/or constantly demonstrate their religious bent, but I am suspicious of that brand of Christians in particular. Such things as bible quotes as a signature on e-mails and the dropping of little "dimes of religious wisdom" are always done with an agenda in mind.

• peentu

He in all possibility likes you or regardless of. yet he feels like he's as much as nicely known to stable. A) He has a girl pal, B) this is creepy while adult males like women that are virgins because of the fact many of the time, they desire the excitement of being the 1st, no longer because of the fact they desire to proportion some romantic first with you. I have not have been given any concept what him having throw issues at you is, this is in all possibility some style of flirtaious element. i do no longer comprehend, he in all possibility does such as you. yet sounds creepy.