What harm does Christianity cause.?

I saw this posted and i'm not sure that i understand how Christ's teachings can cause harm. I guess people can misinterpret Christ's teachings and thus cause harm but then they have strayed away from his teachings in order to cause harm right?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Ignoring all the wars started by George bush in as he says his "God given duty" lets just look at the so called peacefull society!!

Government statistics show that christians are vastly over represented in prisons for sexual, violent and fraudulent crime!!

The Catholic church is paying millions in compensation for the sex/pedophile crimes of their priests alone!!

Christians are vastly over represented in the divorce courts!!

Christians invented the concept of sin and then the idea that you could sin, ask forgiveness, get pardoned and start with a clean sheet!!

So no surprise that they are so expert at it is it?!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I agree with sathre.d.

Christianity in itself doesn't cause any harm. If you can remember, Jesus even died for us. He told us to love one another, even our enemies.

I do get your point, though. If that is so, then why are there so many wars and etc. that starts from Christianity?

The Bible and God in itself doesn't cause any harm. They were to bring good. It just so happens that there are so many self-proclaimed Christians who doesn't know a bit about their religion nor know about about God and what He is saying.

Take one part of what Fear Evolved answered. "Too bad most Christians don't follow their Christ's teachings, they follow people like Paul's teachings and the teachings from other parts of the Bible."

This is because these people don't even know what is written in the Bible. Those who follow the teaching of other parts of the Bible only are the people who haven't even read the whole of the Bible, since some of the Old Testament's teachings are already obsolete in the New Testament. Take for example the 10 Commandments of Moses being replaced by Jesus' 2 Commandments.

In short, it's the people who call themselves Christians but doesn't follow the words of God that causes harm. They're like wolves disguised as a sheep.

P.S. What 'daisy' commented is plain stupid. Whether you're a Jew or a Christian, it doesn't really matter. Jesus clearly stated that He is the way, the truth, and the light; that no one can stand before the Father without Him. Choosing to be a Jew just because those celebrities are there is just plain immature. Also, EVERYONE of us, EVEN YOU, ARE SINNERS. Not only Christians are sinners. Jewish are also sinners, haven't you thought of that? Jews also put their faith in the Lord.

Source(s): My brain? Seriously, being a fifteen year old girl makes most of you older than I am. Please try and be more mature. T.T
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Sin? In Exodus 20:17 God commands that we must not covet our neighbor's slaves, nor anything else that belongs to him. What God did NOT command here is for all of these servants to be given their freedom. So sometimes God has some funny rules, and they don't always seem to coincide directly with what we consider to be the highest possible morality. But if we return to your question, and remove all of trimmings, you ask, "What harm does the 'sins' in Christianity cause?" Oh they have great potential to do harm! Murder is pretty bad, sure. But what about other sins? Exodus is awesome for sins. 22:18 Says kill all the witches. Eeek. This commandment could have really caused some trouble if anyone bothered to read it. Oh they did? Oh hell. 22:19 Is better. Sexually abuse animals? Death penalty! See, there's good stuff in the bible! 22:25 Says don't charge interest when lending money. LOL! Who does God think he's talking to? 23:13 Says don't even MENTION the names of other gods. So comparitive religious studies seem to be right out. Wow on second thought, this whole sin thing seems a little odd to me.

• 1 decade ago

Humans have endured centuries of hatred and bloodshed in the name of 'peaceful' teachings from all sort of religious leaders, Christ included.

When one group of people believe they are better than another group of people because they follow the 'divine word' of their religious idol, these same believers in peace and love will willingly oppress, discriminate against and even kill those that seek to deny or diminish that word. The divine word is often unchangeable and immutable (ie. from 'god'), so when two groups with unchanging ideals for the world and different belief structures, respects, morals or customs bump up against each other the end result is always bad.

Evolutionarily speaking these people naturally seek the protection that is offered to them within the group belief structure, and choose to become one of the 'herd' because the herd offers them protection from people that are different and might upset that comfort that is offered by the herd. It is the loss of that comfort that they are most fearful of, and this is something the true believer will do anything to protect. Islam professes to be a religion of peace and love, but it's followers kill and maim christians, jews, hindus etc. in the name of islam. Christianity professes to be about peace and love, but its followers actively seek to deny others equal rights (prop 8), or to force others to follow their beliefs (evolution vs creationism, abortion rights, or in the past - racial rights). The same examples of 'out group hostility' are to be found for all religions and the underlying cause is always the same.

In the modern world, which seeks to be guided by reason instead of doctrine, and by science instead of superstition - all religion, no matter how noble and peaceful each professes to be, ultimately causes only harm in the long term.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Christianity teaches females to be subservient to males, it teaches that God loves you but if you don't believe in, worship and obey that you will be cast out and tossed away. It lines churches with wealth, the followers tell people that all that is good in the world is because of God and if you don't believe as they do that you can't be good or do good things that you are evil and shall forever be punished for sins.

To me, this religion and these people are very hateful, cause too many wars, seek to limit intelligence and hampers growth.

If the Christian God exists, I assure you that such a God is nothing more than the Devil as its very self absorbed, childish, all about self, and very evil.

• neil s
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If the teachings of Jesus uphold faith as legitimate, they are inherently harmful. Once someone upholds faith, they have said "Belief does not require evidence". That allows for any belief, including the belief that flying a plane into a skyscraper full of people is reasonable.

Source(s): 9/11/2001
  • 1 decade ago

The teachings of Christ are fine, as longs as:

1/ they are not forced on others

2/ the followers actually stick to them and not infuse other ideas into it

3/ keep them as a personal religion not a state religion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Exactly right. The Sermon on the Mount does not bring harm to anyone, but highly distorted theology brings harm.

This resource explains the contrast between the original message and the faulty message we hear these days. http://gospelenigma.com

• 1 decade ago

Yes. Oftentimes religion can be used for selfish purposes. This results in corruption within powerful places and therefore impacting society negatively. However, Christianity is tolerable if it isn't forced on others. It is a lifestyle that should be of that person's choosing.

• 1 decade ago

Christ's teachings don't cause harm, he says that his greatest command is to love others as we love our selves, people harm them selves because they choose to live a live of pain missery and sin, doesn't the word of God say believe in the truth and the truth shall set you free, so I suggest you repent and ask God to have mercy on you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.