Deteriorate vs deteriate?

I have checked the dictionary and I can't seem to find this word 'deteriate', but I hear all sorts of people say it and I assume (from what they are talking about) this word really is deteriorate.

So why do you think these people think deteriate is a word?

Ty in advanced.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think it's probably just their accent or how they were raised to say it, because you're right "deteriate" definitely isn't a word. A lot of people I know say it and it's really annoying. You should just show them this link haha:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deterior...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Deteriorate vs deteriate?

I have checked the dictionary and I can't seem to find this word 'deteriate', but I hear all sorts of people say it and I assume (from what they are talking about) this word really is deteriorate.

So why do you think these people think deteriate is a word?

Ty in advanced.

Source(s): deteriorate deteriate: https://shortly.im/9pogo
  • 4 years ago

Spell Deteriorate

• 4 years ago

Deteriorate Pronunciation

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They are pronouncing the word like they hear it. No deteriate is not a word, but deteriorate is. Usually (not in all cases), people that mispronounce words cannot only enunciate the words properly, but they can't spell them as well or they would know the phonics.

Source(s): Elementary School Teacher
  • 1 decade ago

Deteriorate is the word, I guess when someone says deteriate (not a word), they are being lazy, or have a regional dialect that pronounces it as such, but the meaning is the same.

• 4 years ago

If you wish to show your son or daughter to see that https://tr.im/Q89nV is the easiest way, Children Learning Reading program.

Children Learning Reading is a learning plan that tries to effectively show young ones to read in small, digestible 15 minute lessons. Children Learning Reading has an excellent reputation and is simple to use.

Children Learning Reading contains efficient lessons and studying activities for kids to help make the understanding method much simpler not just for your son or daughter but additionally for you. The directions are simple to follow, and the topics are logical and communicate the product well. If this technique labored for so several parents and kids, then there's without doubt about this, it will work for your kids too!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have guessed correctly. Deteriorate is correct "deteriate" means nothing. It is simply improper pronunciation by those saying "deteriate".

It reminds me of all the bozos who think "nucular" is a word (even some presidents). Sometimes I feel like screaming, "Geez, get a dictionary, dude!"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably because the majority of people are not well educated and can neither read nor write well enough to explain themselves. Even professional people who ought to know better, cant spell for toffee! It is a sign of deteriorating educational standards everywhere.

Source(s): cynical me
  • 1 decade ago

I agree with the person above me, they're prolly just Americans. People whose native language is english do this to a lot of words... english is my second language and I have better grammar than most people I know and we're all university students.

I know i spelled prolly instead of probably but im just being lazy lol...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.