Is it right to give something to someone who thinks they don't deserve it?

I'm not talking about something like a prison sentence here; that's beyond their control. But if you wanted to do something nice for someone and they had the idea that they shouldn't accept it for whatever reason, how would that make you feel? Would you respect their desire to do with less, or take it... show more I'm not talking about something like a prison sentence here; that's beyond their control. But if you wanted to do something nice for someone and they had the idea that they shouldn't accept it for whatever reason, how would that make you feel? Would you respect their desire to do with less, or take it personally?
Update: Not necessarily, but that could be one example.
Update 2: It's not a question of self-esteem. It's more about principles.
Update 3: It doesn't have to help anyone. Sometimes self-restraint just feels good.
Update 4: I'm not saying it's right for someone to be rude about turning something down. But they do have the freedom to turn it down.
Update 5: It's not that specific a principle. They just don't believe they should be allowed to have more than they need or can get for themselves.