Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Which of these books should i read?

I got a bunch of books for x-mas so which would you suggest?

(Preferably give a reason as to why...or not, w/e)

The Shadow Factory-James Bamford

Brisingr- Christopher Paolini

And The Hippos Were Boiled in their Tanks-Kerouac and

Burroughs

Cat's Cradle, Slapstick, Timequake- all by Kurt Vonnegut

High Fidelity- Nick Hornby

We the Living-Ayn Rand

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency- Douglas Adams

The Bourne Ultimatum- Robert Ludlum

Gravity's Rainbow- Thomas Pynchon

Live and Let Die, Moonraker- Ian Fleming

Bloody Sunday- James Gleeson

Born Standing Up- Steve Martin

Favorite Answer

Nick Hornby is a very funny writer...his book moves fast and is really amusing.

Ayn Rand, however, is quite difficult and sometimes overly didactic. Her stories lack in subtlety.

I would recommend reading everything by Vonnegut.

I'd probably start with Vonnegut, move on to Kerouac, then Adams, then Fleming. I couldn't never get through Gravity's Rainbow so I wouldn't really suggest it. If I were you I'd throw out Paolini and Ayn Rand. I hate both of them.

I wish I got as many books as you. Or at least more B&N giftcards.....

Honestly, I'd just do "eenie meenie minie moe." But if I had that list of books and had to pick one, I'd probably go with Brisinger because I do want to know how that series continues, and then read The Bourne Ultimatum because I saw the movie, and then figure it out from there. But that's only if I had to choose, because I still like the "eenie meenie minie moe" idea better.

• Joe_D

They're all good books. It totally depends on your interests and mood. Which one grabs you? Just start with that one. (I just heard Steve Martin interviewed on the radio. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start with his bio: Born Standing Up. Interesting guy and an interesting life.)

Kurt Vonnegut, he's good

And Robert Ludlum

Lucky you!

But it looks like you haven't read the other two books of The Inheritance series.. cause if you had, then you'd have gone straight for Brisingr!

i'm caught via the commencing up section that's sturdy... and that i admire the small sentences which includes "fairly not." and how short and to the factor.. that's somewhat imprecise yet i like it :)

• Matt J

here read this book http://stevequayle.com/News.alert/08_Global/080118... you wont be able to put it down