Why are you for Hamas or for Israel in this painful confrontation?

Should hamas weep if it provoked all this or should Israel?

• kadel
    Favorite Answer

For Israel. This article explains it well

First I saw a young protester telling a CNN reporter in Trafalgar Square, "Every single day, as soon as we turn on the TV, we see children there die in the hospitals, adults dying, children dying on the floor. Why, why, why? Why do children have to die? Why do innocent children have to die on the floor? Why?"

And I thought, She's right, those children in Gaza are innocent, every human life is precious, civilians aren't combatants. Doesn't everyone deserve basic human rights like food and water and life itself?

But then I thought, Where was she when 80 or 90 Hamas rockets a day were raining down on Israel? Where were all the television cameras when innocent children in Ashkelon and Sderot were being maimed and killed?

But then I saw pictures of massive devastation in Gaza on the front pages of the newspapers, and I thought, What good does it do if Israel appears to act like its enemies?

But then I heard Shimon Peres tell George Stephanopoulos that Hamas "did things which are unprecedented in the history even of terror. They made mosques into headquarters. They put bombs in the kindergartens, in their own homes. They are hiding in hospitals." Where were all the people of Gaza rising up in outrage when Hamas used them as human shields?

Then I heard Palestinian negotiator Hannan Ashwari say that Gaza was a secondary issue, that the real imperative was to reach a lasting political agreement, not a temporary military outcome, and I thought, She's right, there will be no peace and security for Israel unless a viable two-state solution is reached.

But then I read a blog by Atlantic writer Jeffrey Goldberg recounting his interview with Nizzar Rayyan, the Hamas leader who was killed by Israeli bombs last week. "This is what he said when I asked him if he could envision a 50-year hudna (or cease-fire) with Israel: 'The only reason to have a hudna is to prepare yourself for the final battle. We don't need 50 years to prepare ourselves for the final battle with Israel.' There is no chance, he said, that true Islam would ever allow a Jewish state to survive in the Muslim Middle East. 'Israel is an impossibility. It is an offense against God... You [Jews] are murderers of the prophets and you have closed your ears to the Messenger of Allah.... Jews tried to kill the Prophet, peace be unto him. All throughout history, you have stood in opposition to the word of God.'"

And I thought, How can you negotiate with people who reject your nation's right to exist, and whose version of religion calls you a murderous race? If someone claimed that the best way for America to deal with Bin Laden is to reach a political agreement with al-Qaeda, I'd say that they're nuts, that there can be no negotiation or accommodation with people lusting for a final battle to rid your people from the earth.

Israel has been weeping since 1948. Despite all efforts by Israeli governments moderate and extreme to negotiate a genuine end to the conflict that allows all parties the right and the means to exist the refusal of the extremist jihadists to negotiate in good faith has made peace impossible.

When a Muslim statesman tries to achieve peace, as King Abdullah of Jordan and President Sadat of Egypt did, the fanatics murder them. Then groups such as Hamas fire missiles indiscriminately into civilian areas and scream when Israel defends itself.

How can I not support the right of the Israelis to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? Given that Hamas is an active terrorist organization, any person who does support them is acting against the best interests of the palestinian people, who need a generation of peace to rebuild the life they had before the jihadists took it away from them.

It was not Israel who attacked first. The first dead and the second were Jewish people whose sin was rteturning to their ancestral homeland. They were old men praying at the Wailing Wall when the then Mufti of Jerusalem decided a holy war would give him more clout.

The Mufti, like most of these jihadists, was a politician trying to carve out a constituency. Like most of that sort, he was a liar. They all are. Why should a Muslim extremist tell the truth any more than a Cjristian extremist does on our own political arena?

Hamas hides behind women and children, then calls their hostages martyrs to their cause. Such behaviour makes me wish there was an afterlife, because whatever form the Deity took He, She, They or It would reward them with an appropriate Hell.

I like to think that Arafat will spend eternity teaching his fellow murderers how to dance Freylachs on burning coals. It's the poet in me.

it is very hard to form an opinion

be/c since our gov't is pro- israel so is the media

so that article that an answerer just posted is beyond biased

I don't think any side can be seen as the victim here

both israel and hamas need to come up with an agreement without the dead-end violence

• Elfie

Israel. There is no question about it. If Hamas wants to keep on having their civilians killed and their Gaza strip blown to kingdom come, then so be it. It's not Israel's fault. She is only defending her right to exist.

Think of it this way. If Canada started hurling rockets into the USA killing hundred or thousands of American civilians just because they believed we did not have the right to exist, do you think the USA would try to stop Canada till they did not have the power to strike and kill Americans anymore? You betcha!

Well there is no difference in the Israeli fight for her survival.

• crafty

I don't think it is any coincidence that Israel decided that "nows the time" in these last few weeks of a Bush Presidency. Obama is wisely staying out of this so far. I think Israel knew that if they didn't do this now, they would get major intervention from an Obama admin. 4 Israelis were killed by Hamas rockets - remember that. They should all weep that the lives of peace loving people on BOTH sides are being taken because of the radical factions in Israel and Palestine. Nobody is going to win.

I posted this on an earlier question on this:

Ceasefires between Israel and its Arab neighbors have a long history. Israel's ceasefires with Egypt and Jordan eventually turned into peace treaties. The ceasefire that Israel and Syria agreed to at the end of the 1973 war is still intact. Hezbollah has the capacity to hit Tel Aviv, Israel's largest population center, but it hasn't actively targeted Israeli cities since its conflict with Israel ended in the summer of 2006. Hezbollah is a defacto government within Lebanon, but Hamas doesn't have that status within Palestine and neither does Fatah. Those have to be the first steps. You cannot negotiate with non-state organizations if they do not exist. Hamas is trying to get to that point. But when you kill their police and blockade and starve Gaza, then there are no police to police the radicals and to stop them from sending rockets into Israel, and you are losing any good will that non-radical's have toward Israel, which is completely counter-productive to any peace ever happening.

If they would let Hamas develop into a "Hezbollah", then a group would exist who COULD enforce peace and have a stake in that peace working. It doesn't matter what Hamas is saying now about totally destroying Israel. It's all rhetoric. Allow them to develop into a defacto government in Gaza and I believe that rhetoric would change. The details of a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas are extremely complicated by Israel's blockade of Gaza and it's refusal to recognize Hamas. The fact that Hamas militants have continued to send rockets into Israel both during and since the six-month ceasefire between them which Hamas let expire last month, has given Israel her excuse for this war, but Israel has done virtually nothing to promote peace or any good will and this simply makes Hamas stronger. So the big question is - do the most recent, 1967 to present, Israeli governments really want peace? Or do they simply want domain over all they occupy?

I have lost all faith in Israel's intentions. There will never be a ceasefire after this massacre, this slaughter of life. Never. I wouldn't agree to one after this, no one would. Everything I have been reading says the same thing. If that is Israel's goal, they have totally and completely screwed it up. I would vow to end Israel myself if I lived in Gaza, at this point and my husband is Jewish. This is simply evil incarnate. Have you seen pictures and video of what is going on there? The infrastructure of northern Gaza is being completely destroyed. Israel has been using white phosphorus shells which burns the skin right off of people. This stuff was used extensively in Fallujah by the US and Britain and the civilian population is still suffering horribly from it. This does not lead to a ceasefire, this leads to everlasting hatred.

What Israel clearly wants is the end of the Palestinians. Tzipi Livni's remarks this weekend were racist. She made it pretty clear that when this is over, (if it ever is) she wants all Arabs who are living peacefully in Israel to leave. Olmert and Barak are the same, utterly racist and evil. The only possible hope, as I see it, is if American Jews and organizations like J Street, can put pressure on the US Government to cut off all aid to Israel and get the Zionists out of control somehow. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening now. They have gone way too far.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle...

My God is better than your God gets tiring after a few thousand years of it.

As long as Jews and Muslims breathe.

They will hate each other.

The British giving Palestine to the Jews is like Canada giving Florida to the Cubans.

That is the problem.

The Palestinians just want the Jews to go somewhere else.

The Israelis just want the Palestinians to go somewhere else.

A country torn between two peoples.

Like a divorce gone bad. Everyone is mad. Everyone fights. Nobody will agree.

Can't we all just get along?

There is no god and the only thing worth killing for is the safety of this planet. We all die without it.

Earth is your Savior...

Hamas is getting what they want, so Israel should weep for the chances they've missed by frittering away opportunities.

It seems obvious to me that Israel needs to set up new behaviors and new policies.

I suggest that the appropriate policy is "Tit for Tat" -- for every rocket launched into Israel, a battery of 155mm howitzers fire one salvo back into target chosen at random within 1 km of rocket launch point.

if that is done each and every time for however long it takes, the people of Gaza will either all run away or force Hamas to stop attacking Israel.

btw, the response for neighboring nations with big mouths and no brains is to ask if they'd like some of the same medicine.

Source(s): game theory -- if you fail to respond forcefully to being attacked, what you'll get is attacked again. and again and again. until you're dead.
  • rz1971

I think Hamas is a joke who only want war. They are true warmongers. They used a time of peace to do what? Build schools? hospitals? A better life? Nope, they used it to create an buy more weapons to send into Israel.

I think Israel could live in peace with its Arab brothers, its the Arab brothers who can't live in peace with Israel.

American has funded the Jewish atrocities for to long. It was never any of our business just like now.

It would be nice if we made the jews pay us back and evened the playing field but we will keep on supporting Israel as they butcher, murder and steal from the Palestinians.

Source(s): Not are business but we sure have messed it up.

Israel is completely right. Hamas has no right to hurt people. Ever here of kill one to save millions? well that's what Israel did, they were protecting people. Israel would be fine living in peace with their nabors, but their nabors don't want to live with them.