ebethohlhaut asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Are discount dental plans/fee schedules really beneficial?

My family does not have dental insurance, and I am going to need some work done. I have some issues with my gums, and it has just been years I've been to a dentist. I've been looking online at a few discount plans, but I'm just wondering if they are actually beneficial. For my whole family, it would cost $160-$200 a year. I called a dentist's office that is listed and they said their normal cost for a crown is around $900. With the plan, it would cost $504. Has anyone actually used any of these discount plans? Please don't advertise your own website here. If you are a broker or whatever looking for business...look elsewhere please. I only want to hear from people who have actually used these plans or from someone who works at a dentist's office and knows how these plans work. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

My advise to you is that dental plans are basically very costly and do not provide good value. In regard to your gums, I strongly suggest you do an alternative, low cost thing that will reap you great rewards.

Go to: (800) 370 - 3447 and order two things:

Neem Oil

Neem Bark

Mix these two items together and make a paste. Put the paste all over your gums first thing in the morning and before bed. It takes ONE day to stop all bleeding. You can reduce dental pockets and as bad as a grade 5 pocket within less than 2 months doing this. Your gums will become healthy. This will save you thousands of dollars alone.

The next thing to do is to fix your diet that is causing the dental problems. I strongly suggest you seek out a Certified Nutritional Therapist that can advise you. They can test you for nutritional deficiencies and recommend supplements and a good diet that will put you on the road to health that will keep those teeth looking good.

good luck to you

Source(s): CNT, B.A. biology & chemistry advanced nutritional research

It really depends on your area. Most of these plans only apply to dentists who are signed up. In many areas that mean no one. Also, many have waiting periods and maximums. Check around see which dentists take it and what they think of the plan and if it would save you any money. Most will discuss it with you if they know anything about the plan. In my experience most people are better off applying for something like CareCredit where they get no interest for 12-18 months and making payments for their work. Many dentists offer this plan or something similar. Other than that a dental or dental hygiene school usually saves some money on cleanings and work if you have one near you, but it will take longer to get things done.

Source(s): dental hygienist

it depends on the plan and if you go see a dentist who is honest. i hate to tell you that part. the insurance will help you but make sure you understand it and get a fee shcedule from the company and sit down with the dentist and make sure you know what needs to be done and why. get a second opinion if need be. if you are proactive in this process then you and your family will win

dont forget to floss every day! avoid sugar do not use home remedies this is the best way to ruin your oral health!

Source(s): im a dds

I've tried two of those, neither one ever paid what they said they would, and most dentists now won't accept them anyway because of the difficulty in getting them to pay up.

Source(s): RN