Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Should I do something about my jaw clicking?

Well, recently, my jaw has occasionally locked when I laugh hard or something similar. It feels really tight and I can't open my mouth widely. Although there is no pain, it is extremely uncomfortable.

My friend told me she had the same problem before, and the person she saw explained to her that since shes still growing (I'm 14 right now), her jaw at the moment may not fit together as perfectly as it previously has, and that it should adjust within a few months. Something like that.

Anyway, I'm uncertain whether to do anything about it. If it matters, I used braces for a year and have used my retainers since October 08. I don't want to give my parents the trouble of taking me to see a doctor/dentist unless it's necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice!

Thank you both for your quick replies and advice.

It could definitely be stress, and very likely (I saw this mentioned in another thread about TMJ that I was browsing earlier) lack of sleep, as I have been experiencing sleeping problems recently. As for chewing chewy things, I'm not a huge gum eater and I don't eat a lot of toffee-type candy.

Thanks, I'll let my parents know and if the problem continues, I'll visit a dentist.

• MEL.
    Favorite Answer

Hi ohnoeits,

There are a couple of things which can cause that which you might not have thought of.

Are you stressed or worried about anything? This may not sound connected to jaw problems but it can be.

When we are in a stressful state we tend to clench our teeth without even realizing it, especially when we are asleep. This can lead to an aching, tight and sometimes clicking jaw.

Alternatively, do you eat a lot of food or sweets which require you to chew hard, like toffee for instance? That too can cause jaw discomfort and pain.

Either way, it doesn't sound too serious to me but I do think you should tell your parents so that they know about it. You are not asking them to take you to the doctor, just letting them be aware .

Hope this helps.

Love Mel.X

Source(s): Nurse

After having my jaw out of place for 45 min. at the dentist many years ago I acquired the same problem. A Dr. will probably tell you it is TMJ (google it) Tempro-mandibular disorder or disease. It means your jaw clicks in and out.and hurts . Close your mouth, hold your palms on each jaw bone, slowly open and close your mouth, feel the bad one pop in and out? I am now in my Arthritis years -I'm a very mature lady. This last year the arthritis began in my right upper jaw hinge. I rub aspircream on the painful area and it helps some. Mine has not gotten worse with years, it is occasionally painful. When it is bad it sleep with a night guard on ($20.00 at walmart) or$300.00 at the dentist. This keeps you from night grinding. I also take an excedrin at night to sleep better and discourage night grinding. You will know if you are doing it if the jaw problems are worse in the mornings. Try it!!!

It sounds like you have TMJ (Temperal-Mandibular-Joint Disorder). That joint is basically the hinge on your jaw and when it gets misaligned, it can cause your jaw to lock, feel tight, or click when you are trying to open your mouth. A trip to the dentist can help in diagnosing the condition and he can provide suggestions in how to treat it. I have TMJ and my dentist provided me with an appliance to put in my mouth when I sleep at night and it caused my condition to disappear. My condition was caused by clinching my jaw when I slept. If you are doing something similar, that might be the cause of your jaw clicking. Because you aren't experiencing any pain, you may not have inflamed the tendon yet. Get better!

Source(s): Personal experience.