I got pulled over for a "tinted license plate cover". Was he just wanting to pull someone over?

So i drive what i think is a nice car for my age, 100% earned on my own and i have illegal tint on my windows, but i got pulled over in SC for this barely tinted license plate cover. I haven't been pulled over in prob over 3 / 4 years. Now after he took my information another cop car pulled up and after they... show more So i drive what i think is a nice car for my age, 100% earned on my own and i have illegal tint on my windows, but i got pulled over in SC for this barely tinted license plate cover. I haven't been pulled over in prob over 3 / 4 years. Now after he took my information another cop car pulled up and after they talked for a moment i was asked to talk to the new officer a the rear of my car and asked all these questions, because they said under my eyes were red and i guess they thought i was using drugs. The cop followed me for about 2 miles before he put his lights on.

Anyone have insight as to why they wouldn't randomly pull me over after so long and do this? I just wasn't happy it was about 10 am on a Saturday and i was going downtown to look at apartments.

Guess to me this just didn't seem right and seemed odd to me. Nothing like standing in the cold weather on the side of the road on the interstate like i done something wrong for something that seemed to picky.
Update: One more thing that makes me wonder is because i have 5% tint on all my windows ( but the front of course ) which is illegal in i think every state and i got pulled for my plate cover.