Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the ideal growing conditions and requirements for plants?

i ran across a article which talked about the sonic bloom experiment and sparked my interest. It read that the researcher used oscillating frequencies of a recorded bird song to open the stomata of the plants then sprayed it with a nutrient spray. I also read that at night he used higher than atmospheric pressure pure oxygen basically a hyperbarric chamber. I am about to embark on an experiment with plant growing to produce massive produce along the description above. I have already built from scratch oxygen generators and mean to build a pressure chamber to contain the plants. I will be using a 900 led grow panel using 465 and 650 nm lights (UFO brand). Any additional input on this would be greatly appreciated.

such as

the possible frequency and or sound used to open the stomata.

THe nutrients used in the spray.

The ph content of soils.

pressures achieved in the chamber.

The oxygen amounts (i plan on trying using atf sequel 15 modules and scuba tank compressor to pressurize the chamber) also after reading some other posts i wonder if it would be a bad idea to run some lines in the dirt by the roots to disperse some o2.

I just hate to reinvent the wheel and want to move forward with new ideas any input would be a huge help thanks in advance.

Update:

Okay with that in mind i imagine i will run two or more exp on the stomata opening with pressurized o2, pressurized co2, and some liquids. thanks. the lighting i will be using is only 2 types of wavelengths red and blue. but that may change if poor outcome is acheived.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not a gardening expert, so I know little about grow lights. However, in most plants, chlorophyll a is the most command and the highest absorption points for that are at about 440nm and 680nm whire are below and above your lights, respectively, assuming what you said meant they broadcast on a band FROM 465 TO 650. If I misunderstood and what they do is broadcast with a peak at around 465 and 650, then you're all good. However, if the light from them is very narrow, that is, like 465 +- 15, then you still may have a problem as the dropoff for chlorophyll a there is pretty high. Lemme find a graphic. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chlorophyll_ab_s...

The pH content will certainly depend on what kind of plant you wish to grow.

Most plants are limited by how much nitrogen they can get (fixated nitrogen. There's plenty in the air but most plants can't fixate it alone). Try picking a plant that doesn't naturally fixate nitrogen so you can get more extreme results.

Running O2 into the soil could be a great help to the plant. However, if you're supplying the plant with all the fertilizer and water it could want with the spray then helping the roots likely would not help. That's just a hypothesis, though.

For nutrients other than the appropriate nitrogen compounds, look up common fertilizers to see what's in them. Keep in mind, however, that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Also, as far as I've read, stomata are meant to exchange gases, not fluids or solids. This may have other effects and may actually poison the plant. It could also interfere with the natural closing of the stomata which, for many plants, is necessary during the day to conserve water. An interesting side effect may be that jamming the stomata open may allow the plants to better take advantage of a constant supply of water through irrigation.

Another thing for you to consider is that, during the day, photosynthesis is limited primarily by two things. CO2 and water. Water's easy to supply, CO2 is not. Your experiment could also be used to supply greater concentrations of CO2 to the plants. Freeing the plants up from these necessities may allow previously infeasible things to occur. For example, much more energy allotted to fruit and seeds (an obvious one), or perhaps much faster maturity, or even much greater tolerance to negatives like air/water/soil pollution.

Another variable you may want to tinker with is how, under these conditions, will the plants react to other stimuli like predation. Many of the medicinal compounds in plants, including THC in cannabis, are believed to be defenses against carnivores. It's possible that your plants may produce these compounds in much greater abundance.

While you sound competent, I hope you'll be careful with all that compressed gas and fertilizers. Also you should be aware that these aren't exactly natural circumstances and it's possible, perhaps very unlikely, but possible that some nasty, even dangerous side effects may occur. Perhaps one of the fertilizers will react differently when put under higher pressure?

GL!

• 1 decade ago

Mist your plants frequently this will deliver

water directly to the vacuole of the cell.

and another hint is plants absolutely love nitrogen wich is an ingredient in house hold dish soap perhaps if you mixed 1 part water 10 parts dish soap your plants may grow more vigorously.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.