Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Is there a name for this type of post-WWII era housing?

They're usually found on the "bad" sides of town. Please don't be sarcastic and say "slums" or "hood houses" or something like that. I know this architectural style has a name. All I know is that these homes really dominated the American landscape in the 1950's and were usually built in a cookie cutter style fashion, one next to another throughout entire neighborhoods, but I don't believe they were called manufactured homes. At least not at that time.

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Levitt & Sons made a GREAT number of post-WWII homes on the East Coast.

    Houses built in Levittown consisted of just six models, including the Levittowner, the Rancher, the Jubilee, the Pennsylvanian, the Colonial and the Country Clubber. Levitt & Sons constructed only single-family dwellings in the community, each surrounded by a lawn, with only modest exterior variations, modern in style, with built-in appliances and landscaping. The homes were moderately priced and required only a low down payment. Construction of Levittown began in February 1952, soon after completion of Levittown, New York, located on Long Island. Levittown, Pennsylvania, was the second "Levittown" built by William J. Levitt, who is often credited as the creator of the modern American suburb. ( )

    These neighborhoods often became "less-desirable" as the returned vets completed college, found better jobs and homes, and raised their children.

    Levitt was the creator of "affordable-housing" and it was then duplicated in other locations. California had Joseph Eichler and his cookie-cutter single story homes.

    Source(s): Just a bit of research and grew up in an "Eichler" home
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.