Are Jehovah's Witnesses by definition polytheistic?

I was reading some Watch Tower material this weekend, and it said that Jesus was a mighty God, but not Almighty God. It said further that Jehovah was the Almighty God, and Jesus was created by Jehovah. I'm no theologian, but that sounds like more than one God to me. Any thoughts? Would the term polytheistic offend JW's. Can anyone make this clear to me?

Desert Rose: So are there more than one supreme being?

And if Jehovah created Jesus, why does Jehovah call Jesus his son. That's a little confusing.

I got this definition of polytheistic from Websters: pol⋅y⋅the⋅ism   /ˈpɒliθiˌɪzəm, ˌpɒliˈθiɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pol-ee-thee-iz-uhm, pol-ee-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun the doctrine of or belief in more than one god or in many gods

This is what I want to know. If Jesus is a mighty God, and Jehovah is Almighty God, then by reason you have two "gods". So how do you reconcile two beings that are called God.

Desert Rose: OK, what do we do with the Bible verses that says that the Son had no beginning. Or that the Son always existed. I haven't been to Sunday school in a while, but I remember some things.

The Bible I have Micah 5:2, reads entirely different. The KJV says: ...that is to be the ruler of Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlastings.

the phrase "from everlasting" sounds like that there was not a time He did not exist. I'm a I wrong?

And I think the term "firstborn" has to be taken in its context. I'm sure the Bible writers were not trying to convey that there were any born after Him. After all I see the term "firstborn" throughout the Bible, and it seldom had to do with the order someone was born or created.

In Hebrew 1:8, Jesus is called Jehovah. And in Rev 1:8, Jesus is called the alpha and Omega, and the ALMIGHTY. Is the Bible in error?

As far as the future goes, I'm not sure. And I think only God knows.

Humans will stand in judgement when the Lord returns, I know that.

Desert Rose:There are many question I have about WT material. Please see my prior question about vaccinations and organs transplants. Thanks for your input. You've been a big help...

Sherry B: I know you get asked this question a lot, but in John 20:28, Thomas called Jesus Lord and God. Now if he was being blasphemous, Jesus would have to rebuke him right? But He didn't. He later blessed him.

TeeM: I think the term "so called" gives it away. Paul was making a point. That would be a poor reference to support mutilple gods...

Best Answer

No...they only worship Jehovah...the father of Jesus according to Luke 1 verse 32.....and Psalms 83 verse 18

Many people say Jesus is Jehovah...Which is false unless Jesus is his own father....Jesus is a divine being as his father Jehovah....but Jesus is not his own father as many people say that Jesus is son of the most high...and the most high at the same time.

Remember...god is not a name as Paul but a title as Doctor...that term is applied in the bible to Jehovah, Jesus , all angels, Satan and some humans.

If this is false or incorrect ....then the bible is the guilty cause it says that angels are gods and Moses was God....etc etc

and We DONT believe that we can become 'gods' by ourselves

--------------------------------------------------

So are there more than one supreme being?

NO........they are divines being but only Jehovah is infinite in power, the rest of them are very powerful beings but they have limits...Jesus is the most powerful being in the universe after Jehovah...but Jesus himself said that his father is higher than him in John 14 verse 28

----------------------------------------------------------------

And if Jehovah created Jesus, why does Jehovah call Jesus his son??

Quiet simple.......you have kids...you created them ...by the process you know...they are your sons......

Jehovah have another way but at the end Jesus came from him....REMEMEBER.......Jesus is his human name...he was son of God before coming to earth....according to John 3 verse 16

-----------------------------------------------------------

belief in or worship of more than one god

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/polythei...

We don't worship Jesus only Jehovah as Jesus said in John 4 verse 23-24

John 4 verse 23-24

Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth.

Jesus said to worship his father....and his name is Jehovah

I don't see the confuse......please email me if you think there is something wrong

Exodus 4 verse 16

And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God to him.

2 Corithians 4 verse 4

among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

Moses was a god...ans Satan is a god...and that doesn't mean they are the same being or that they are Jehovah......

REMEMBER...god...is not a proper name...is a title....as Engineer.....How many engineers do you know??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micah 5 verse 2

And you, O Beth´le·hem Eph´ra·thah, the one too little to get to be among the thousands of Judah, from you there will come out to me the one who is to become ruler in Israel, whose origin is from early times, from the days of time indefinite.

whose origin is from early times....So he had origin...When....the first being created by Jehovah...that is why he is called firstborn in Colossians 1 verse15

Colossians 1 verse15

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation

Jesus is not the firstborn cause he is the first son of Mary..or the first son of God in earth....that was Adam according to Luke 3 verse 38...No..he is firstborn cause he was the first being created by Jehovah

Luke 3 verse 38

[son] of E´nosh,

[son] of Seth,

[son] of Adam,

[son] of God.

PEOPLE confuse being eternal with have no begining...time is eternal...but it had begining......

Only Jehovah has nor begining

THE Concept of time begun with his creation......as soon as you have a kid it is when begin you r time as a father....as soon as you have your first son is when you became a father....the being we know as Jesus was the begining of the time...cause begun the mathematical concept of FIRST....AN ORDINAL number that is referred to the position you occupy in a group......

THAT is why Revelation 3 verse 14 says

And to the angel of the congregation in La·o·di·ce´a write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God

the beginning of the creation by God

Jesus is the oldest creature of the universe.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JWs didn't define the meaning of the word firstborn ...Jehovah did it in Exodus 13 verse 1

Exodus 13 verse 1

Sanctify to me every male firstborn that opens each womb among the sons of Israel, among men and beasts. It is mine.”

129 times the word first born appear in the bible....the majority of times is referring to the first of the group......

I can provide you 30 proofs as examples

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT the most important thing is not if Jesus is his own father Jehovah or not....that doesn't affect us...

But...about our future...How Do you think is the future of this planet and humans will be??

Ok....Well JWs have learnt that this planet has a brilliant future...but only under a certain arregement done by God called God's kingdom....Jesus is the King of that kingdom....

We learnt that this planet wont be destroyed but restore it....

THERE is only two options...or this is false or this is true

You Can Believe in a Paradise earth

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20031115/article_02.ht...

IF the information of the link is false then...this planet is doomed...bu if that information is true...wouldn't be important to analize it??

OK....and you are welcome

• bucy

Definition Of Polytheistic

• grnlow

Have you not ever read 1 Corinthians 8:5-6?

"that there is no God but one. 5 For even though there are those who are called “gods,” whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him."

Jesus by virtue of all that he has done, has been exalted by Jehovah to a position second only to Him. Philippians 2:9-11 says in part, "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."

What is the definition of "a son"? In human cases, it is he who is pro-created by a father. That would certainly apply to Jehovah creating Jesus personally as Colossians 1:15-18 shows. These verses go on to state Jesus was used by Jehovah to create everything and everyone else in the heavens and the physical universe.

Now humans make "gods" (little g) of everything. It is whatever one devotes the majority of their time to. For some it is getting material goods or money, others sports, TV or video games are their "gods". It does not have to be spiritual to be a "god".

With Jehovah, only he is referred to as "Almighty God, the Most High God" title as Psalms 83:18 says. No one else has that title.

Jesus acknowledged that Jehovah was his God and superior. (1Cor. 11:3; 1Pe. 1:3; John 20:17)

So their is no disagreement in the Bible or JWs beliefs based on the Bible.

Jehovah keeps all faithful ones in his memory, like Job, the apostles, and just ordinary everyday persons who die faithful to him. I knew many who suffered in concentration camps when I was a young Christian in Germany. There is nothing wrong in asking Jehovah to "keep them in his memory," though. I think you've been given some very nice answers and plenty of information to read and study in that reguard. I'm happy this Q&A forum exists for just this very reason;and happy so many were here for you and your questions. And yes, ask your study conductor he can supply scriptures that will answer all your questions and guide you.

• TeeM

Was Paul polytheistic?

1 Cor 8:5For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,

6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

Did you notice Paul believed in many gods, yet he only worshipped the Father.

Paul tells that Jesus is Lord (Master) which is not the same as God the Father.

Just as there are many gods and many lords, we worship only Jehovah.

If you are really looking for truth, email me.

.

to answer the question: no. we are not polytheistic.

we do not worship 'many gods'. as DesRose states.

does that mean there are NOT other gods? not at all.

there are many gods. satan is a god. moses was made a god.

angels at times are called 'gods'.

the problem?

the word 'god' in english. it is USUALLY used for the almighty.

ie, for YHWH, Jehovah, in modern english.

but, in hebrew, [ el, or elohim ] it simply means a powerful one.

gramps

I would say that someone who is polytheistic worships multiple gods, wouldn't you? I only worship Jehovah, so no I am NOT polytheistic.

I do recognize that there are many things that are "gods" to other people, but that doesn't make them MY God. Zeus, Aphrodite, Astarte, Baal, Ra, Venus, and many others were 'gods' in someone's eyes. To me they are false gods.

The Bible tells us that for some people "their god is their belly". Others make celebrities "god". The Bible even tells us that Satan is a "god". Knowing that whatever is worshipped is a 'god' doesn't make a person polytheistic.

The Bible does speak of Jesus as a mighty god. (John 1:1) It does not call him "Almighty God" and it does not advocate that we worship Jesus and replace Jehovah. Jesus called Jehovah "my God".(John 20:17)

But the Bible also tells us that Jesus is our head. It describes an order of headship where the woman is in subjection to her head, her husband, the man is in subjection to Jesus, and Jesus is in subjection to God. (1 Corinthians 11:3)

If Jesus is in subjection to God, then he cannot BE that God and if he calls his Father "my God" he cannot be worshipping himself, but someone else.

I very much love and value Jesus, but he isn't God. He hasn't asked for my worship and he wouldn't approve of me worshipping him. Nor would my God Jehovah who told us in Deuteronomy 6:4 that "Jehovah our God is ONE Jehovah" and that we must worship him alone.

It was Jesus himself who quoted this scripture to Satan who wanted to be a god in place of Jehovah when he (Jesus) said "Go away Satan, for it is written it is Jehovah your God you must worship and to him alone you must render sacred service". (Matthew 4:10)

The people who take God's name out of the Bible are the ones who are trying to confuse the issue of who God is. Jesus was the primary supporter of his Father's sovereignty and he would NEVER ask us to give him worship that is due his Father alone. He isn't Satan. Satan is the presumptuous one who wants to steal the Father's worship for himself. Not so God's loyal son Christ Jesus. He ALWAYS upheld his Father's will.

I don't know why this should be confusing to anyone. We worship one God. We worship Jehovah. It is the trinitarians who try and make him into THREE gods not one. THAT is the confusing doctrine, not what we teach. Ours is quite clear and simple and very much backed by scripture.

Source(s): The Bible

no.

Jehovah's Witnesses worship only the father.

"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

no one can make this clear.....it was designed for people without access to information and schooling and testing several thousand years ago....

almighty god cant feed the children in Africa or ANY third world country....so stop saying almighty

"They" are a Cult!! ("They" believe eventually 'they' can become 'gods' themselves!!) "They" need to remember The First Commandment!! <')))><