Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Can you die from a broken heart?

As some of you already know my great grandfather passed away last week and his funeral was yesterday. Today we get the news that his widow, my great grandmother has been rushed to hospital. She didn't look at all well yesterday at his funeral - they were after all married for 64 years! So can you die from a broken heart?

Favorite Answer

~~Oh Nattie Honey I am So Sorry. I didn't know...here's a BIG ((((((HUG)))))) from me my Sweet Girl.

To answer your question...it is Yes people have been known to die of what would be called a "Broken Heart" ESPECIALLY older people who have been with a Mate for a long time...it is quite common in fact... they simply give up and don't feel they can go on therefore in a way Willing themselves to die....I hope and Pray your Gramma Gets better Babe...Much Love My Sweetie~~Shell~~

Aaawww Hun, I think it is possible. Your Great Grandmother probably has lost her "will" to live because she has lost her husband. She may think that there is no point now because he was her life. Sometimes people just kind of give up, let go and see what happens. My partners Nan had a few little strokes and recovered ok, but then had a big one. Ended up in hospital not being able to eat, talk or even go to the loo herself. Nan could still understand everything but hated what was going on with her body. She just kind of went away (her mind) and died a few weeks later, I do believe she had given up because of her circumstances.

I do hope you are alright Nat, try to talk to someone, it does help. Doesn't make the feelings go away, but makes them a bit easier to deal and cope with. Your Great Grandmother might find her will to live again, but she may not. 64 years is a long time, and if she keeps living a year without him will probably seem a whole lot longer because she has lost him

XXX take care Nat.

Source(s): Social work student, have also done psychology.

I'm sorry to hear about your Great Grandfather passing and now your Great Grandmother being sick,you will be in my thoughts.To answer your question,I think you can.My Grandmother passed away and then 6 weeks later my Grandfather passed away in his sleep.The whole time after she passed,I would call my Grandfather and check on him and all he would say was how sad he was and how he missed my Grandma.They were married 50 years.I would try my best to let him know I cared but in the end,his heart was broken and he did not want to carry on.He lived alone in another country so it was difficult to really know how he was but yes I think people can miss someone so much that they don't want to carry on.

Maybe not physically die from a broken heart, but the emotional trauma from one could cause you to physically decline. Stress and depression can affect us in a physical way, and these are often the result of that kind of loss. The grief that your grandma is feeling is undoubtedly causing her stress, so yes it could definitely affect her health. Surrounding herself with the people who love and care for her are the best way to find a reason to keep pressing on. I'm so sorry for you and your dear grandma. What a blessing to have such a full and happy marriage. I can't imagine having to lose something so precious.

Thoughts and prayers.

I guess that wouldn't be the technical term. But yes, I do think this can happen. We lost my grandma last March. My grandpa who is 92 is alone now after 67 years of marriage. He's gone down hill too, quite rapidly after losing her. I do think there can be a correlation, especially in couples who have been married so long.

It's very hard..will keep grandma in my prayers. It's not easy..I know.

Nat, I'm so sorry!!

Was your grandfather ill for very long before he passed? I only ask because it is fairly common for caregivers to pass away not long after the spouse they are caring for passes. It is very common in spouses of Alzheimer's patients because of the stress of caring for them. It can be all consuming.

I really hope your grandmother is okay and my heart goes out to you and your family.

First,Im sorry for your loss...

There are many who say yes.....

After being together for so long, and not knowing any other way to live could be devastating. The thought of loneliness, and loss of daily routines will be very difficult to overcome. You should probably spend as much quality time with her as you can. Time with other loved ones will help her feel the since of purpose she may have lost with the death of her long time spouse.

Love and prayers for your family......

You can, by being depressed and not eating drinking or doing anything at all. Or maybe the was so stressed that he blood pressure went to high and it killed her.

Im sorry for the new, God bless your family and You.

• Tony

I'm sorry to hear that Nat. 64 years, that's beautiful. I would think it would affect your great grandmother though. Hope everything will turn out okay.

yes ppl have just wasted away from being rejected or loosing a soul mate,, after 64 years she is totally lost