Which Alice's Adventures In Wonderland is the original?

I'm trying to find the ORIGINAL, hardcover Alice's Adventures In Wonderland that was written only by Lewis Carroll and is not combined with any other book (like Through the Looking Glass) and is not written with the help of any other authors. If you have a picture of what it looks like, a direct link to a picture, or a direct link to where I can buy this book online, please show me. Your help is greatly appreciated, I really wanna read this book! <33

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Alice was written in 1865, exactly three years after the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and the Reverend Robinson Duckworth rowed in a boat up the River Thames with three little girls.

(The three girls were the daughters of Henry George Liddell, the Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University and Dean of Christ Church as well as headmaster of Westminster School. Most of the book's adventures were based on and influenced by people, situations and buildings in Oxford, England and at Christ Church, e.g., the "Rabbit Hole" which symbolized the actual stairs in the back of the main hall in Christ Church.)

Facsimile page from Alice's Adventures Under GroundThe journey had started at Folly Bridge near Oxford and ended five miles away in the village of Godstow. To while away time the Reverend Dodgson told the girls a story that, not so coincidentally, featured a bored little girl named Alice who goes looking for an adventure.

The girls loved it, and Alice Liddell asked Dodgson to write it down for her. After a lengthy delay — over two years — he eventually did so and on 26 November 1864 gave Alice the handwritten manuscript of Alice's Adventures Under Ground, with illustrations by Dodgson himself. Some, including Martin Gardner, speculate there was an earlier version that was destroyed later by Dodgson himself when he printed a more elaborate copy by hand (Gardner, 1965), but there is no known prima facie evidence to support this.

But before Alice received her copy, Dodgson was already preparing it for publication and expanding the 18,000-word original to 35,000 words, most notably adding the episodes about the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Tea-Party. In 1865, Dodgson's tale was published as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by "Lewis Carroll" with illustrations by John Tenniel. The first print run of 2,000 was was held back because Tenniel had objections over the print quality. A new edition, released in December of the same year, but carrying an 1866 date, was quickly printed. As it turned out, the original edition was sold with Dodgson's permission to the New York publishing house of Appleton. The binding for the Appleton Alice was virtually identical with the 1866 Macmillan Alice, except for the publisher's name at the foot of the spine. The title page of the Appleton Alice was an insert cancelling the original Macmillan title page of 1865, and bearing the New York publisher's imprint and the date 1866.

The entire print run sold out quickly. Alice was a publishing sensation, beloved by children and adults alike. Among its first avid readers were young Oscar Wilde and Queen Victoria. The book has never been out of print. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has been translated into 125 languages, including Esperanto and Faroese. There have now been over a hundred editions of the book, as well as countless adaptations in other media, especially theatre and film.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's really hard to find only Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in hardcover editions. Hardcover mostly means 'deluxe' edition, so most of the time it will contain Through the Looking Glass as well.

Personally I wouldn't know why you wouldn't want Through the Looking Glass included as well. The books are very cheap, so don't worry about the price. Also I can guarantee you that you'll like TTLG as well! :-)

I think you have two options:

1. Buy only Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, in paperback

For example:

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/cgi-bin/apf4/am...

or

2. Buy Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, in hardcover

For example:

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.